Sign in to follow this  

Plastic idle screw?!?! Need brass!

Just got a 2012 KTM 300XC and while setting up the jetting for my altitude, etc I noticed it has a plastic idle screw....W*T*F! I thought these KTM's were top notch?

Does anyone know where to find a brass idle adjust screw for a Keihin PWK 36S carb?

Will the Brass Screw from a 35 or 38 PWK fit? I found them on-line ot a snowmobile shop.

Last time i checked, KTM doesn't make carbs.

Are you talking about the AS or the idle adjustment?

If the idle, they are all, and have been plastic. Never had an issue either.

Looking at the parts fiches for my bike (38)and yours,it looks like they are the same part (adjustment screw M 5). I bought a brass screw for mine off of eBay. I think they have some on there right now with a knob on them for tooless adjustment.

Looking at the parts fiches for my bike (38)and yours,it looks like they are the same part (adjustment screw M 5). I bought a brass screw for mine off of eBay. I think they have some on there right now with a knob on them for tooless adjustment.

link ?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150695325511&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=26261667103 I was looking at the mobile site on my phone,but just search KTM idle screw on eBay to find them if the link doesn't work.

Nice! I'll have to get one! Too bad it's the UK eBay...but I don't have a problem with sending them 6-pence and a quid...

Again, never had an issue, though i have read about the occasional issue. Imho, its more indian then arrow though.

Maybe its more an issue in extreme cold?

Its not something that gets strong armed....

Last time i checked, KTM doesn't make carbs.

Funny man....

I'd think KTM would look into it, maybe make a fancy orange one, heck, you can get KTM baby bottles, why not a brass or aluminum idle screw.

The PMK 35, 28, 38's etc all have a brass option. The 36 doesn't. I'm sure there are aftermarket one, just can't find one. Maybe Timmy's link. Still trying to see if there is one is the USA.

Every KTM and Yamaha 2-stroke I've ever had or seen has a plastic Idle screw.

It actually lifts the slide higher when its turned.

Therefore, when turning it open the throttle a tad to reduce the effort needed to turn it.

Every KTM and Yamaha 2-stroke I've ever had or seen has a plastic Idle screw.

That doesn't mean I have to settle for one.

I've had a few Yammie 2-smokers, none of them had cheap plastic idle screws.

The one from the UK eBay (Timmy's link) came out to $35 USD w/ shipping. A small price to pay if plastic one breaks on me on a cold winter ride.

Again, never had an issue, though i have read about the occasional issue. Imho, its more indian then arrow though.

Maybe its more an issue in extreme cold?

Its not something that gets strong armed....

Mine had a bit of a burr on the end of it and seemed worn. The metel replacement was less than the OEM replacement if I remember correctly. I bought some brass from the same seller. I'll see if I can find him in my history next time I log into eBay.

Well, just hate see ktm slammed for something they have nothing to do with, and was trying to be lighthearted to make ya think about it. Maybe you should take it up with Keihin if it is that big a deal.

I don't think anybody was really slamming KTM here. Just voicing concerns over a plastic screw. And I'm sure it's plastic for a reason,like being softer for the slide to slam into or something. But really KTM does have something to do with it. If they told Kiehin that they wanted the carbs to come with brass screws,you can bet that they would have brass screws.

I don't think anybody was really slamming KTM here. Just voicing concerns over a plastic screw. And I'm sure it's plastic for a reason,like being softer for the slide to slam into or something. But really KTM does have something to do with it. If they told Kiehin that they wanted the carbs to come with brass screws,you can bet that they would have brass screws.

reread the first post.

I doubt they would. Besides, much not be much of a problem, or there would have been a redesign a long time ago. Why not make the call to Keihin and find out why.

I would be more concerned with the plastic adjusting collar on the shock, personally.

ok ill tell you all why i think the plastic should be there.

its there to elimante or minimize the wear the brass screw makes.

how much does a new slide cost over a plastic air screw?

no wonder i hear some people are having issue with setting idle on their carb. they never thought that their slide might have a worn in groove on the spot where it touches the idle screw.

ok ill tell you all why i think the plastic should be there.

its there to elimante or minimize the wear the brass screw makes.

how much does a new slide cost over a plastic air screw?

no wonder i hear some people are having issue with setting idle on their carb. they never thought that their slide might have a worn in groove on the spot where it touches the idle screw.

I agree and very good point! Slides aren't cheap at all. I would say that repeated slamming of the slide into a brass adjuster would eventually wear a spot on the slide and affect jetting, possibly even causing a burr to stick the slide open for quite a fun ride!! LOL