Sign in to follow this  

KX 85 kick problem

Picked up a 05 kx85 for my girlfriend and there is a problem with the kick starter mechanism. Basically it isn't grabbing when you move the kicker so it isn't turning the motor over. I thought I would be able to see the problem by opening it up but it doesn't look like any pieces are missing it just doesn't work. Any ideas or maybe pictures of what it looks like on a bike that works

Thanx!

Take a picture of the parts and post them up, sounds like you're missing a spring or a ratchet is on backwards but I'd really have to see it to know for sure.

It does seem like there should be something between the spring and the case???

kicker.jpg

Can you remove the clutch basket?

Everything in this picture looks okay, you need to look at the gear on the kickstart shaft to make sure it's meshing with the gear directly below it, and make sure that gear is meshing with the small gear on the back of the clutch basket.

But maybe before removing the clutch basket, put the kick lever back onto the shaft and gently, with your hand, rotate the kickstart lever and watch what is happening to see if you can spot the problem.

But maybe before removing the clutch basket, put the kick lever back onto the shaft and gently, with your hand, rotate the kickstart lever and watch what is happening to see if you can spot the problem.

I did that and the shaft turns, but the piece that looks like it should move back as you turn the shaft to grab the gear doesn't move back.

Have you pulled the kickstarter shaft out and pulled the spring/collar/arm etc off to inspect?

We'll figure it out, don't worry :bonk:

Have you pulled the kickstarter shaft out and pulled the spring/collar/arm etc off to inspect?

We'll figure it out, don't worry :bonk:

No I stopped when I got here because I figured something would fall out when I took the cover off. The only issue with a kick starter I've ever dealt with the spring was broke so it was easy to find.

Yes that looks right, the spring (part # 92081A) may be broken or missing, have you checked?

Guess I'll get to tearin it apart some more!!! I can't win! No more used bikes for me!

You should be able to remove the big coiled up spring from the kickstart shaft, that spring has an arm on it and it should be pressed into a hole in the case. Just pull it towards you to get it out of the case, then try to wiggle it off the shaft. It has another little arm that sticks into the shaft, you'll need to look carefully to see which direction you need to lift it to get it off the shaft.