Sign in to follow this  

WAY too sensitive front disc brake! How adjust?

Hi,

I just bought a used RM125. It runs great, but the brakes are a mess. The front disc brake pretty much locks up the moment you touch it. I adjusted the set screw at the handle bar, but it didn't make a difference. Once you start pulling the handle; nothing- nothing-nothing-nothing-LOCKUP!

The rear disc brake has virtually no function at all. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir, the pads are not worn, they do move when you step on the brake, but they appear to move back too far when the brake pedal is released.

I am mostly worried about the front brake, as it made my son fly over the handlebars and get rolled by the bike today. Luckily he only got a few scratches and bruises.

Berrie

Never really had that problem. :bonk:

not sure why it would be so abrupt on the front. I onlyu have to lightly use my front brake lever but even when I hammer on it it is rare that I lock up and throw myself over the bars... hmmmm. Hope someone else can be more help.

Rear often gets a glaze on it and new pads will feel weak.

Is the front disc bent? Changed the fluid? Try lightly sanding the pads and rotor. Try moving the screw out so you have to pull them almost against your fingers to get brakes. I know if my lever is adjusted too far out, I tend to grab them too hard and want to lock them up. Try using one finger to pull them? Rear brake pads should not move out on their own. The rotor spinning pushes them back as far as they need to go. If you're spinning the rear wheel and they open up too much, the rotor is bent or bad wheel bearings. It probably wouldn't hurt to bleed the rear too.

could be that the fluid has water in it. brake fluid sucks up water very easily. could be a bent rotor. could be a problem with the master cylinder. could even be that the brake pads got something like WD40 on them and it melted them to the point where they only grab when they have extreme pressure on them and they have no choice but to clamp up.

you should really put the bike on the stand and spin the tire and hit the brake lever and try to see what is happening. are the pads making contact, does the rotor have a bend in it, etc, etc.... try to rule out as much as possible first.