Sign in to follow this  

New and revived bike, it breathes and it is fast

After three years of owning a 2005 CRF250R, today I rode it for the first time with the stock exhaust. Yes, I said stock exhaust. And it was a totally different bike. Let me explain: Three years ago when I picked this bike up off my buddy who got into a 450R I never rode it with the stock exhaust. Instead I put on a 250X exhaust because it had the spark arrestor installed. I could not afford anything else at the time. I picked up the 250X exhaust cheap and wanted to ensure I was following the laws here with using a spark arrestor. Well, after three years I have been looking at getting an exhaust system or slip-on because I wanted to see how it would ride. I hear all the time that an exhaust can make a fairly significant difference. So, I decided to put the stock 250R exhaust on for a ride today at a place I ride often. All I can say is WOW. It was significantly different. The throttle response was amazing. No low end bog that I had with the 250X exhaust. The bike, to me, was literally a totally different machine. Going through the sand whoops made a huge difference. Give it a twist of the throttle and it responded immediately. I was grinning from ear to ear. I am glad I followed the rules for the three years and plan on continuing to do so with a pipe that has an arrestor. Time to find a legal one that will respond the same.

Any suggestions? I am primarily looking for a slip-on unless the price is right with spark arrestor that can be removed. I am looking at the Lexx MXe slip-on.

Suggestions on getting a jet-kit as well at the same time?

Yeehaw! what a blast I had today just blipping the throttle and getting the front end to come up with ease and jumping over things I never could do before.

sounds like you really enjoyed it today.. Kinda gives a whole new interest in the bike.

Best thing to do is talk to the manufactures and find out what amount of decibel's the pipes emit. I have been seeing the current aftermarket pipes are coming out quieter then the stock pipes in many instances. Especially the pipes rated for AMA 94decibel or the new FIM sound test rating and producing more power too.