Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

IMPORTANT message to those of us who have pets

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, since so many of you have been helpful to me, I just wanted to share an important lesson that almost drastically changed our lives here at my house.

A week ago I started the work on replacing the shift shaft on my KDX. Had to drain the coolant. Antifreeze is typically fatal to animals. I THOUGHT I was very careful but, evidently there was some drainage off the frame or skid plate that I did not see happen.

That spill dried to a sticky spot in the garage floor over the last week. I never saw it.

I was in the garage with the dog yesterday and, by the grace of God, saw him licking that spot on the floor.

Again by the grace of God, 30 hours later, 4 courses of antidote, stomach pumping, charcoal ingestion and continuous I.V. with some kind of alcohol to isolate the toxins in his blood "our son" will be coming back home to us in a day or two . There is the possibility that he will have kidney issues later in life, but at least he will live to fight that fight. Thank you God.

I know most of us work on bikes/cars/etc.. from time to time. Obviously there is the lesson of "don't spill antifreeze" but most importantly the lesson I want to share is:

The vet said that by seeing him ingest the antifreeze and IMMEDIATELY taking him to their office was key to saving his life. The vet shared with us that what they usually see is that a pet owner fears their animal has ingested antifreeze but they hesitate, not knowing and hoping that it will be ok. Two to three hours later the animal starts showing signs of poisoning. They then take the animal to the vet but, the toxins have already entered the kidneys by that time and 95% of the animals end up dying. The Dr. told me "Usually people sit here crying and saying why did I wait?"

I'm not looking to be his hero....in fact I am as far from it as I can be.

Nor am I looking for praise because I acted fast.

I just wanted to share the lesson of IMMEDIACY with ya'll because I know some of you have pets that help you in the garage too and, Heaven forbid the same thing could happen to one of you one day.

I can't wait to hug you when you get back home Sammie.

Sambo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey guys, since so many of you have been helpful to me, I just wanted to share an important lesson that almost drastically changed our lives here at my house.

A week ago I started the work on replacing the shift shaft on my KDX. Had to drain the coolant. Antifreeze is typically fatal to animals. I THOUGHT I was very careful but, evidently there was some drainage off the frame or skid plate that I did not see happen.

That spill dried to a sticky spot in the garage floor over the last week. I never saw it.

I was in the garage with the dog yesterday and, by the grace of God, saw him licking that spot on the floor.

Again by the grace of God, 30 hours later, 4 courses of antidote, stomach pumping, charcoal ingestion and continuous I.V. with some kind of alcohol to isolate the toxins in his blood "our son" will be coming back home to us in a day or two . There is the possibility that he will have kidney issues later in life, but at least he will live to fight that fight. Thank you God.

I know most of us work on bikes/cars/etc.. from time to time. Obviously there is the lesson of "don't spill antifreeze" but most importantly the lesson I want to share is:

The vet said that by seeing him ingest the antifreeze and IMMEDIATELY taking him to their office was key to saving his life. The vet shared with us that what they usually see is that a pet owner fears their animal has ingested antifreeze but they hesitate, not knowing and hoping that it will be ok. Two to three hours later the animal starts showing signs of poisoning. They then take the animal to the vet but, the toxins have already entered the kidneys by that time and 95% of the animals end up dying. The Dr. told me "Usually people sit here crying and saying why did I wait?"

I'm not looking to be his hero....in fact I am as far from it as I can be.

Nor am I looking for praise because I acted fast.

I just wanted to share the lesson of IMMEDIACY with ya'll because I know some of you have pets that help you in the garage too and, Heaven forbid the same thing could happen to one of you one day.

I can't wait to hug you when you get back home Sammie.

Sambo.jpg

Glad Sammie will be coming home. I can only imagine if Boomer got into the same thing. Would be a very very sad day...

Have a Happy New Year.

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad he's gonna make it through. He looks like a great dog. Funny how pets become part of the family and mean so much to us. Maybe when he gets home you can give him a nice ribeye steak for dinner! :bonk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an important lesson for us!!

Just the other day I had a heater hose blow on a vehicle, in our parking spot, but only noticed the "spill" the next day. It did not even occur to me that something could come and drink/lap at it! I will be more vigilant in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great catch, and great lookin' pooch!

I had a similar experience, I think, with one of my dogs. She mysteriously came down with some kidney issues and loss of appetite and 9 months later we had to put her down. I'm convinced that somehow when I wasn't being careful, she found some antifreeze on the floor in the garage just as you describe......it must have been a tiny amount as she didn't get "sick" right away, but a little slower.

My mistake and I still feel bad about it.......and I still miss her 9 months later.

I hope Sammy makes a full recovery, and has a long healthy life.......as it's clear that he has a caring/loving home!

:bonk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reminder.

My old buddy Bear passed away 1.5 years ago, after 13 years together and there isn't a day I don't think of him and all that he taught me about love, tolerance, laughter and life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the positive vibes guys. Poor guy has been through the ringer. I've got a lot of making up to do......and happily looking forward to it :bonk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad they were able to save him. :bonk: About a half hour ago I told my best friend, Max, that I never thought I'd have as good of a friend as he is. I just don't let my dogs in the garage at all. Too many things they could get into. Max will eat anything. I could just see him eating a few nuts and bolts and washing it down with some antifreeze. No garage for you, Max! :smirk:

31982_1464435817709_1437904395_1227198_265827_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow glade he is going to be okay. Nice looking dog. My dogs will and do eat anything and everything. Doesn't matter what or where it is we always gotta keep are eyes on them. They will let us take it from them with no problem but kinda give you that look like what did I do why you taking it away it taste delicious. (I imagine thats the look Sammie gave you as you took made him stop licking the floor.) Then I just laugh and tell them hey little fella its because I love ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×