Sign in to follow this  

Wodded it up good lastnight

I had a nice Works Connection Skid plate (Which covers the bottom/ cases, etc), and for some reason I decided I did not want it on my bike anymore. I told myself it was too much of a pain to put on and off while cleaning/ changing oil, and it added an extra gram of weight to my bike from the stock plastic protecters (lol). SO I sold my works connection skid plate to a fellow T.T.'er for $75 (Cost me $120 new)...

So my first ride last night without it, I wodded it up good. I was coming up an uphill out of corner and the dirt on top was loose, and the ground under was hard. I swapped ends and high sided over my handlebars. I have some pretty good whiplash right now, but I'm ok. (Thank you LEATT brace)

As I walked over to my bike after checking my body for holes, or broken bones... I noticed on the brake side it was pouring radiator fluid out of my bike. Handlebars were moved quite a bit, a big dent in my Ti pipe, and the plastic guard over the water cooler piece was disintegrated. I walked the bike all the way back to my truck and noticed that the bottom piece of the water pump area was absolutely busted and a screw was sheered off.

Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure....Bottom line is I bought another works connection skid plate for a $120....lol. I bought a Boyesen 'super cooler' to replace the stock unit...supposed to keep your bike cooler through out RPM's and I live in Arizona, so I figured it was a good idea to spend the extra $50. Summer time 'round here gets hot at the track....Anyway...Murphy's law...!!! :smirk::bonk:

37857325352188187581202.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i see you're in az, what track were you at? ive never been much of a skidplate kind of guy but ended up buying one of those $45 carbonfiber skid plates from rockymountain. i absolutely love it. its taken a huge beating and at times i think ive cracked it but no. i just checked and it doesnt look like they are selling them anymore. they were the deal of the century.

You could have gone with Acerbis instead, they make a nice plastic Moto glide plate for the Kawi. I was using the Works Connection plates on my bikes but when they switched to the rubber damper system I wanted to try something new. The rubber grommets wear bad over time and the holding bolts were constantly packed with mud, sorry to hear about the damage.

Bummer man. I remember when i sent you those pics when you were installing it. Then i saw it for sale and was confused. I almost replied to your thread with a warning, but didnt want to jinx you haha. Bummer, but at least you have an excuse to buy a nice pump!

Ok...so new Works Connection (Again...lol), Boyesen super pump, and I added a braking wave rotor up front with a steel braided line by Ride Engineering. I'm hoping the front brake is so strong that it throws me over the handlebars. lol.

Also put on a UFO green front number plate for my blue backgrounds (I had to zip to the plastic around the handlebars....is that normal for UFO?)

img0095xgk.jpg

img0096p.jpg

img0094le.jpg

(I had to zip to the plastic around the handlebars....is that normal for UFO?)

I don't know but that gives me an idea to trim the stocker down so I don't have to fiddle with it so much everytime I take the plate off.(easier to adjust the bars and straighten them out in the event they get tweaked)

Your front number plate would look a lot cleaner if you wire-tied it to the bottom part of the handle bars where it is currently resting. I had a UFO for my Honda and it was the same deal, but the next one I bought was an Acerbis, which matched the factory plate perfectly and no wire tie was needed.