Sign in to follow this  

trail tech headlight

i just got one i haven't installed it yet...but i heard the lighting sucks at night... is there a way to wire both lights to stay on when i turn the brights on

Yes, If you have the cheaper halogen(not DOT), I would wire a switch between the positive of the two bulbs that way when closed the switch would power both lights, wether the bike's switch is in High or low. This way your high/low will work normally, unless the switch is on, at which time both lights will be on no matter what position the high/low switch is in.

Or you could use big diodes or relays but thats more complicated.

You can buy Different H3 bulbs. 25watt,35,55,100. The 100 watt maybe a little too hot. You can still wire it differently but I would think it would be a lot easier to add a 55 watt bulb.

Where did you buy the DOT model? I want to be able to use a 25 watt low and 55 watt high because I need extra wattage for a heated vest.

It should be noted that the "dual sport" version isn't actually DOT legal - they're very specific to say on their web page that it "meets DOT requirements" but it doesnt actually have the stamp.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

That said you can just use a bit of solder in the headlight switch on the handlebar to keep both lights when you turn on the brights.

I did this on my old KLR650 so I'm not sure what the DRZ switch looks like, but chances are its something similar. The rocker switch is connected to 3 lines - the ground, and the low beam, and the high. I made a little bead solder from the ground to the low beam lead so that the low beam is always on even when you flip to high beam. If you aren't at least a little bit familiar with electricity though...