Sign in to follow this  

19 inch Trials tire?

has any one tried these yet? i really want to put a trials tire on my rmz but i would have to get an 18 inch wheel and i don't really have the spare cash to do so.

i know they make 19 in trials tires now and was wondering if any of you have tried them? i know the side wall wont be as good cause its 19 in. but what do you think of them? also if have tried these tire what psi do you use if your running a tube.

down the road id like to do an 18 inch with a tubeless set up and trials tire. but for now this is my option.

thanks for any feed back

-Brady

I have been seeing the Vee Rubber 19" trials tire at races around here recently. It is a normal trials tire with a tall sidewall, and the rubber compound feels very similar to my Dunlop 803. The ride reports have been excellent. Because the tire is so tall, you may have to mess with your fork height and/or sag setting, but it seems like a good choice. I wish it was available when I decided to give trials tires a try. I went and bought an 18" inch rim.

Not many options for the 19" rear wheels. (Not including the various Death Wing tires.)

At $126 per tire, I hope the Vee Rubber works.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/392/43559/ITEM/Vee-Rubber-VRM-308R-Trials-Tire-Rear.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

$82

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/392/36631/ITEM/Shinko-Trail-Pro-255-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

This comment in AD rider sparked my interest again.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16441896&highlight=trials#post16441896

I put a Pirelli MT43 on the back of my XR400. So far I like it. My friend who is a big fan of the Dunlop 803 said the Pirelli is a lousy tire. I haven't used an 803, so I can't compare them.

i haven't really heard of vee rubber i'll have to do some more research on it. even though RPT50 said the reviews are good.

also Kev_XR my buddy has an 18in Pirelli on his 2010 ktm 300 xcw. hand he said that the rubber is a little stiffer then most but it works out good for non trials bikes. but maybe its different for 18in to 19in.

i just put a Michelin on my TY 250 Trials bike and it was a huge improvement. and the tire i got now on my Rmz is so reved out im sure any tire will be an improvement, but i want one that will last.

i don't really burn out on the gravel roads in donuts like a lot of tards do and my local orv place. i like doing hill climes and jumping over trees and stumps, rocks and anything else that looks fun. ill have to look in to the Vee Rubber some more.

also stinkos do stink from what i here.

thanks for the advise though!

It seems like a just year ago, there were no 19" rear trials tires, only 19" front Death Wings. Now there are two brands.

At my riding club, the hot ticket is a KTM (350f, 400f, 450f, 300) and a Dunlop 803. A lot of guys sporting this combo are ex-trials riders and HS racers. The Dunlop seems to be the best of the real trials tires.

Skip, who ran "Skips at Carnegie" Shop at the California OHV Park had a RM250 with a trials tire for years. The place is famous for hill climbing, so I guess he knew something long before anyone else.

It's a matter of the right tool for the right terrain.

Who should NOT run a trials tire. (what they told me.)

o You do long rides and might get a flat, you suck at changing tires. I've heard a flat Dunlop 803 flops around like a dead python and might come off the rim at speed.

o You like to power slide, spin the back wheel, turn with the rear wheel. You'll rip the knobs off the trials tire in one ride and hate it.

Now the quandary. If you have a bike with a 19" rear wheel, it's probably a MX bike. Do you want a rear tire that grips like velcro over rocks at the cost of not being able to spin up the rear wheel?

I'm using the Pirelli MT43 on my XR400 for now. If I really like it, maybe I'll try at 19" trials tire on my KTM 200SX. Or maybe not since I like turning it with the throttle.

my 08 rmz 250 is def a mx bike but i have made it into a woods bike. the bike doesn't even know that a mx track looks like, cause its never been on one before. i think im gonna give the Vee Rubber a try when i get a new tire. ill have to see if my local bike shop can get it.

Just don't waste your $$ on a Stinko version. Know a couple people who got them (18" version), both say they suck compared to all the others.

+1. I am on my 2nd 18" Shinko and I've come to the conclusion that it's my last. Too bad, because it performs great. It is very sticky and climbs anything. But, the sidewall is just too week and just too prone to tearing/cutting/puncturing. When I rode it at lower PSI like other trials tires, I smacked a root and the rim sliced two 1" cuts on both sides of the side wall. :smirk:

On my current one, I have a few heavy gashes, just not all the way through the sidewalls from glancing blows off sharp rocks.

+1. I am on my 2nd 18" Shinko and I've come to the conclusion that it's my last. Too bad, because it performs great. It is very sticky and climbs anything. But, the sidewall is just too week and just too prone to tearing/cutting/puncturing. When I rode it at lower PSI like other trials tires, I smacked a root and the rim sliced two 1" cuts on both sides of the side wall. :smirk:

On my current one, I have a few heavy gashes, just not all the way through the sidewalls from glancing blows off sharp rocks.

Good to know.

One reason I got the Pirelli is they are said to be a little tougher than the Dunlop 803. A trade off for performance. And the MT43 is DOT approved.

For 19" wheels, looks like there are two choices. We need a Vee Rubber ride report and an 18" trials tire shoot out.

Good to know.

One reason I got the Pirelli is they are said to be a little tougher than the Dunlop 803. A trade off for performance. And the MT43 is DOT approved.

For 19" wheels, looks like there are two choices. We need a Vee Rubber ride report and an 18" trials tire shoot out.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0705_trials_tire_comparison/viewall.html

Good to know.

QUOTE]

On several big block KTMs I've tried and liked the trials tyre, but only the Pirelli could stand up to the duty of the 450 or 500 cc motored bike. Only the Pirelli didn't shed most of its knobs after one long weekend of riding. I have a Pirelli mounted on my wifes 230f, been on for two years; before that it raced VCGP on a XC450 and spend some time in the desert on a 250X, this tyre has every single knob on it to this day and 60% tread. I'm sure it sucks on a trials bike, but for a big block play day (or racing for that matter... depending) cow trailing tyre you can't beat it.

mtz

I have run almost every brand of trials tires out there.... the vee rubber works great.

I also disagree with some of the stuff said in this thread and in that dirtrider review. I am racing at A to fast B level speeds, and been racing KTM 300's, 250SX's, and 450 MX bikes, all with 18 inch rear wheels and trials tires. The tires work great in nearly all conditions, and they outlast a knobby by a long margin. Ive had 2 flat tires total in the 3+ years I have been running trials tires, and only oneof those flats was in a race ( and I have raced a estimated 90-100 races in these last 3 years.

I lock up the rear wheel and brake steer into corners......

I use the trials tire for mud races / mud rides.....

I use the trials tire for sand races......

I see no disadvantage to the tires for woods riding period. About the only time I would say I'd wish I had a knobby on, would be if I were blazing new trails through a area with heavy pineneedle coverage on the ground, that is probably the one area the tire don't do good in. Pineneedles....

So far I would say the tire to beat is the Dunlop 803. For the money it is the best buy. I have used the michelin and felt it was a slightly better tire and it seemed to last much longer than the dunlop, but it is a much more expensive tire. I have used a shinko and it sucked.... took it off after two rides and gave it away. I have used the IRC and it was okay, seemed to not have as much raw grip as the dunlop. Used the pirelli, and it doesn't have nearly the grip as the dunlop, it is so much less traction that I don't think it is worth using over a knobby. I recently bought a few Vee Rubber tires and plan to use those.... I don't have much time on them, just two rides on my KX450 but so far from what Ive seen it seems to be about the same traction and wear as the dunlop.

I will say that when I started riding trials tires I was slower than I am now. I was maybe a solid mid pack C rider. Back then, a Dunlop 803 would last me for months. Now that I am on the edge of a promotion to the A class, I am finding that I am wearing these tires out much faster. But they are still outlasting a knobby by more than double the hours and miles.

I have tried going back and riding knobby's to see if I can be faster on one and the biggest negative thing I experience with a knobby is the harsher ride of the harder tire and I don't like the unpredictable behavior over exposed roots in the trail. With the trials tire the back end pretty much follows the front end, over roots, rocks, whatever. Very stable and predictable. With a knobby that isn't the case.

http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos there is over a hundred videos on here. 95 percent of them, the tires used on my bike was a trials tire rear and Bridgestone M-59 front.

I just killed my second Shinko in less than a year. Another cut sidewall. I've decided to go back to knobbies. The trials tire hooked up great for rocky singletrack and gnarly rocky wash type stuff. :smirk:, however, on my CRF 450R it doesn't quite fit what I like to do on this bike. In addition to techy single track I like to get after it in the washes, where there's always a chance of slamming something hiding in the sand or a random helmet sized rock jumping out from under the bike in front of you. Forget about cornering, there's no traction out on the side of the tire. Lean it a bit to far and you're sliding. WFO in a rocky wash will just burn the knobs right down to a nub. I can see a place for these tires, and maybe tire companies will make a tougher sidewall that won't cut as easy. Maybe I just need another bike :bonk:

on a side note: the Nutech Tubliss I got for the purpose of using a trials tire works very well with my new Kenda Carlsbad. I can now run it at 10 p.s.i and it really hooks up well.

I just killed my second Shinko in less than a year. Another cut sidewall. I've decided to go back to knobbies. The trials tire hooked up great for rocky singletrack and gnarly rocky wash type stuff. :smirk:, however, on my CRF 450R it doesn't quite fit what I like to do on this bike. In addition to techy single track I like to get after it in the washes, where there's always a chance of slamming something hiding in the sand or a random helmet sized rock jumping out from under the bike in front of you. Forget about cornering, there's no traction out on the side of the tire. Lean it a bit to far and you're sliding. WFO in a rocky wash will just burn the knobs right down to a nub. I can see a place for these tires, and maybe tire companies will make a tougher sidewall that won't cut as easy. Maybe I just need another bike :bonk:

on a side note: the Nutech Tubliss I got for the purpose of using a trials tire works very well with my new Kenda Carlsbad. I can now run it at 10 p.s.i and it really hooks up well.

where you using a 18'' or a 19'' on your crf. im pretty sure it comes with a 19 but i didnt see you saying you changed it to 18''

If you used a cheap shinko and you don't like trials tires, don't blame it on trials tires... blame it on the crappy tire you used.

The shinko I used was the worse tire I have ever used period.

If you used a cheap shinko and you don't like trials tires, don't blame it on trials tires... blame it on the crappy tire you used.

The shinko I used was the worse tire I have ever used period.

Thanks for the review by someone who has actually used all of the brands. My previous "trials tire experience" was back in the 70's with the old "Death Wing" tires. That soured me to even trying a trials tire for a long time.

A friend has the shinko 19 on his kxf250, he didn't think much of it this summer when everything was dry. But now the rocks roots logs are slick he's liking it.

ALL tires are conditions specific, hard soft intermediate paddle trials etc. Trying to say one is better than the other is pointless IMHO

I installed the 18" Vee Rubber trials tire on my enduro bike last year for the DurtyDabbers.com (D6 trials club) dual sport ride.

I've never owned a trials tire before this. I was told it's common to run low pressure (9psi) and to make sure you have two rim

locks when using trials tires. So that's what I did.

The moment I started riding, I couldn't keep the bike straight and two guys following me told me I had a flat. I stopped and

determined it wasn't flat and pumped up the tire to 15psi. It still felt like a flat tire, but not as bad as before. Later on, the guy

manning the Durty Dabbers support van confirmed that 15.5psi is what we should be using for trials tires in the woods.

Once we got into some of the the snotty terrain, I could fully appreciate the tire. It still felt like a flat tire, but the traction on

rocks and roots is incredible. It like I was cheating. It felt like I could pick any line in the rocks and it was guaranteed. I still

don't like how sloppy the tire feels and how it drifts during turns, but the traction in the rocks makes up for this.

The most surprising characteristic was this tire worked well even in regular soil and muddy conditions! I though for sure this tire

would be out of it's element when the rocks and roots were gone, but I was wrong. After numerous rock runs on my 250

two-stroke, the tire has a lot of tread left and no broken knobs or puncture wounds.

I want to buy another trials tire for my second enduro bike. As great as the Vee trials tire is, I'm wondering if there's better out

there. Some people have told me their trials tire doesn't feel like it's gone flat. Maybe it's the nature of trials competition that

dictates all trials tires should not be expected to handle sweeper turns.

Should I pump it up to 20psi?

The Vee trials tire uses radial plys. Should I try a bias ply tire next?

What's the difference between tubless and tubed trials tires?

I installed the 18" Vee Rubber trials tire on my enduro bike last year for the DurtyDabbers.com (D6 trials club) dual sport ride.

I've never owned a trials tire before this. I was told it's common to run low pressure (9psi) and to make sure you have two rim

locks when using trials tires. So that's what I did.

The moment I started riding, I couldn't keep the bike straight and two guys following me told me I had a flat. I stopped and

determined it wasn't flat and pumped up the tire to 15psi. It still felt like a flat tire, but not as bad as before. Later on, the guy

manning the Durty Dabbers support van confirmed that 15.5psi is what we should be using for trials tires in the woods.

Once we got into some of the the snotty terrain, I could fully appreciate the tire. It still felt like a flat tire, but the traction on

rocks and roots is incredible. It like I was cheating. It felt like I could pick any line in the rocks and it was guaranteed. I still

don't like how sloppy the tire feels and how it drifts during turns, but the traction in the rocks makes up for this.

The most surprising characteristic was this tire worked well even in regular soil and muddy conditions! I though for sure this tire

would be out of it's element when the rocks and roots were gone, but I was wrong. After numerous rock runs on my 250

two-stroke, the tire has a lot of tread left and no broken knobs or puncture wounds.

I want to buy another trials tire for my second enduro bike. As great as the Vee trials tire is, I'm wondering if there's better out

there. Some people have told me their trials tire doesn't feel like it's gone flat. Maybe it's the nature of trials competition that

dictates all trials tires should not be expected to handle sweeper turns.

Should I pump it up to 20psi?

The Vee trials tire uses radial plys. Should I try a bias ply tire next?

What's the difference between tubless and tubed trials tires?

Check to see if your tire is seated on the rim. Trials tires can be VERY difficult to mount as the bead does not easily seat once the tire is one. That may be why you are getting a wobbling sensation like a flat tire. You should only need about 8-10 psi with a tube--less with a tubless system