Sign in to follow this  

Which bike Xl250R or Xl350R?

I have an 87 xl250r with the dual carbs that i'm putting 91 XR250L dual disc front and rear tires and suspension on it and I have and opportunity to get a 85 Xl350R dual carb that runs well and just needs minor things for $500. Is there going to be much of a difference between the bikes for light to medium trail riding and sub 60mph street riding? Going to be used 50/50. Should I just sell the 250 and put the suspension upgrades on the 350? Are parts harder to find for the 350 vs the 250? Thanks in advance, Scott

Edited by scotteroni
mispelling

I think you have two winners there. The additional displacement will be helpful in cruising at around 60 as compared to the 250 which although capable will be busy.

One can never have too many bikes. Keep the 2 1/2 and acquire the 350 I say!

the xl350r is a decent trail bike try to keep it on the ground or it will hurt you..suspension sucks I had one and the other reason I really did not care for it is the rpm range that the engine would pull was nothing compared to my xt350

the honda would put the front in the air for about 8 feet the run out of rpm but my xt can do about 25 ft in first gear...seems the honda would pull from about 2500-5000 rpm but the xt would pull from 2000-8500

the xl350r rfvc heads are hard to come by and burnt valve seats out, I had to send mine to Al Bakers xr's only to replace the seats..every head I got on ebay had something wrong with it.

I dont know about the xl250r it may have more power than the 350r.. I do know the xt225 I bought for my wife seemed to have as much power as the xl350r

the xl350r is a decent trail bike try to keep it on the ground or it will hurt you..suspension sucks I had one and the other reason I really did not care for it is the rpm range that the engine would pull was nothing compared to my xt350

the honda would put the front in the air for about 8 feet the run out of rpm but my xt can do about 25 ft in first gear...seems the honda would pull from about 2500-5000 rpm but the xt would pull from 2000-8500

the xl350r rfvc heads are hard to come by and burnt valve seats out, I had to send mine to Al Bakers xr's only to replace the seats..every head I got on ebay had something wrong with it.

I dont know about the xl250r it may have more power than the 350r.. I do know the xt225 I bought for my wife seemed to have as much power as the xl350r

was your xl350r the single or dual carbed model and what yearW

I have an 87 xl250r with the dual carbs that i'm putting 91 XR250L dual disc front and rear tires and suspension on it and I have and opportunity to get a 85 Xl350R dual carb that runs well and just needs minor things for $500. Is there going to be much of a difference between the bikes for light to medium trail riding and sub 60mph street riding? Going to be used 50/50. Should I just sell the 250 and put the suspension upgrades on the 350? Are parts harder to find for the 350 vs the 250? Thanks in advance, Scott

This is easy.

How much do you weigh?

OVer 200lbs - 350

Under 200lbs -250

I've had 4 250's, a 350 now and 400 now. The 250 feels and is smaller, the 350 is a load for a smaller size person.

But the 350 has a lot more balls coming off the line and everywhere. But it's heavier and the suspension isn't any better (or worse).

sorry to say that a slightly newer 250L suspension AIN"T going to improve things a whole bunch. Forks are pretty bad without respringing and gold valve.

is it really dual disk??? On a dual sport??? That ain't stock.

If you are over 200lbs, sell the 250 stuff,(including XRL stuff) buy the 350 and then buy a more modern XR front end for it, get the front disk and much better forks will make a HUGE difference. (XR400 forks are pretty damn good and cheap as guys go USD)

I worded that wrong. The L has front and rear discs. Two discs not dual disc's. I'm not trying to make the bike into an xr just a better xl at least for the year. The L's front fork tubes are wider which should help and I can take out the top spring in the tube and replace with a spacer for a firmer front suspension. I read somewhere that there was only 3 hp difference between the 250 and 350 but maybe the motors are from different years. I think for my weight and riding style the 250 will be pretty capable. It does seem like these 250 motors are a dime a dozen and that 350 stuff would be harder to source.

was your xl350r the single or dual carbed model and what yearW

it was a 1985 dual carb xl350r, it ran really hot and I had a hard time but found bigger jets and cooled it down to about 180*f- 190*f operating temps

it was a 1985 dual carb xl350r, it ran really hot and I had a hard time but found bigger jets and cooled it down to about 180*f- 190*f operating temps

What did you use to monitor oil temp?