Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad 2012 AMA Western Hare Scrambles

I'm looking for more info on this series. It seams that there was a promoter that had to bale and the AMA took it back over. We like the dates/locations on the 2012 schedule, but need more information, contacts, etc...

Who's running the show? What are your thoughts on how the series will be run, etc...are there any items that need to be taken care of by pro level riders before the first race?

Here is the AMA's WHS info page: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/raceresults/typeindex.asp?year=2012&s=49

The AMA is running the series, with the hopes that a promoter will eventually take over the series. Lots of fun venues on the schedule.

I can answer questions about the Big Sky XC if you have any. Series starts next week in Arizona. I've never been to that race, but I've heard the promoters down there do a great job and the sand whooped out course sounds like a blast.

Joe

Here is the AMA's WHS info page: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/raceresults/typeindex.asp?year=2012&s=49

The AMA is running the series, with the hopes that a promoter will eventually take over the series. Lots of fun venues on the schedule.

I can answer questions about the Big Sky XC if you have any. Series starts next week in Arizona. I've never been to that race, but I've heard the promoters down there do a great job and the sand whooped out course sounds like a blast.

Joe

Thanks Joe...we can't wait til Big Sky...seams like icing on the cake.

The AZ round is a pretty fun race! Their national and vet tracks are down in a quarry-type pit so it's very spectator friendly, and there are a ton of sandy off-road sections. I'm originally from MT though, and I really want to come up for the Big Sky XC one of these years! :bonk:

Thanks Joe...we can't wait til Big Sky...seams like icing on the cake.

I missed a couple of your initial questions...

Biggest gripe most have with the series is the lack of consistency from round to round. Scoring systems, weekend schedules, rules/requirements vary from round to round. If you can look past these issues (and you should!), it's a super fun series with a lot of variation from round to round. Consistency will improve if/when a full time promoter takes over the series. You can't manufacture great racing terrain/locations though...and that's what makes the series special (in my humble opinion).

I think our race is the only round with specific guidelines for the pro class. Because we have a 10k pro purse, we will require pro racers meet specific criteria. For you, the best route for qualification is to be in the top 20 in the WHS overall points standings as of July 15th, based on at least 2 rounds of racing. Not a huge hurdle, but it ensures we don't have non pro level riders moving up to race for the purse.

Check out race fliers/web links on the AMA website I posted for more info and contact info to the rest of the series.

I've done the series for the last 2 years, besides AZ and Montana (which is on my bucket list, but broke hand last year) 3 of the 6 rounds are D36, there is not much track side support as far as parts are concerned, usually a tire vendor and some tear offs and thats about it, there are always people around to help with pitting etc..

as mentioned above, there is lack of consistency as far as scoring/timing is concerned, i believe Montana actually had the D36 scoring crew in to help with theirs, so AZ and Oregon are different , but not really a concern with me..fun series, great people and good courses..