Sign in to follow this  

heres my 96 kx250

got it literally in several boxes. rebuilt it, got two rides out of it than swamped it. tore it down and waiting for parts and cash at the moment.

267253_1876262468021_1285018525_31645197_3895252_a.jpg

Nice looking bike. I have got to find some cheap graphics for my 97

thanks. im going to modify mine to run 99 and newer plastics. im not going to use monster graphics either. i like monster, but its on every sticker kit pretty much.:bonk:

thanks. im going to modify mine to run 99 and newer plastics. im not going to use monster graphics either. i like monster, but its on every sticker kit pretty much.:bonk:

Would that be hard to do? Hadn't realy considered it before. I may have to try that myself. That is the only thing I dislike about my bike, hard to finde some stuff due to the age. Hoping to dress it up over the winter

well, the only thing i have found different is the mounting tabs for the plastic. the 94-98 have two tabs that are on each side of the frame that holds the shroud plastic. the 99 and newer did away from the two near the front of the frame and moved the rear tabs back. the plastic tank shrouds now mount one bolt on the tank and on the frame tabs. so in order to run the 99 and newer plastic shroud, you have to cut off the tabs and reweld two of them further back. plus youd have to use the newer style tank. you could end there if you wanted to.

i got a 99 IMS desert tank off ebay for $38. awsome buy i might add. im going to run the complete plastics so i will be changing my seat, airbox and subframe as well. sounds like a lot of work, but it really isnt. its also cheaper for me to modify my frame instead of buying a newer frame. i dont have the income to buy a frame. kinda pricey. i was lucky to find my 96 frame locally for $100 and i picked it up.

I have a welder in the shop, and my brother runs a powdercoating business so im good. I only gave 300 for my bike, in great shape might I add. Ill see what I can find a tank for on ebay and possibly do this soon. But I will probably only do the shrouds, dunno. Im also considering powdercoating my whels black instead of buying new ones, but am a little concerned about how they will hold up

Any idea if the seat off my 97bike will match up to the 99 tank correctly? Found tanks at great prices on ebay, this my be my new project...

a stock tank, i dont see why it wouldn't. your seat pan maybe a tad wider than the 99 pan but i can't see it being a problem. if anyone else can disagree with me, nows the time to chime in. for me, the huge desert tank wont let me use my seat pan cause of the tank being molded around the seat. its a bit wide and im not up to trimming it to fit. ill post a pic of what im talking about. as for the tank fitting the frame, i posted pics of my desert tank sitting on my junk 94 frame. you'll see what im talking about the frame fittings.

ok, heres what im talking about with my stock 96 pan on the desert tank. should fit stock 99 tank with no problem

DSC00732.jpg

the upper hold down srew on the tank lines up perfectly with the pan

DSC00733.jpg