Sign in to follow this  

Is the shock shaft the same on a CRF250R and CRF450R?

Bike: 2006 CRF250R

While servicing my shock (my first attempt at this - oil change +), I decided to fully disassemble and clean everything as well as learn about valving, etc.

While removing the shock shaft nut, I tried to follow instructions to file off the peening but apparently I did not file enough and I ended up wrecking the nut and more importantly the threads on the shock shaft to the point of being not repairable so I will be needing a new shaft.

My plan is to buy a complete used shock and use the shock shaft off of it.

My question is: are the shock shafts the same on a 2006 CRF250R as a 2006 CRF450R.

The reason I ask is that I found a brand new shock shaft on EBAY for a 2005-2008 CRF450R.

I checked part #'s and for a 2005-2008 CRF250R the part # is: 52426-KRN-711 ($225) while the part # for a 2005-2008 CRF450R is 52426-MEN-711 ($188).

Thanks for your help.

The 450 will have a firmer spring and the valving may be different but the shafts will be the same, therefore the diff. part numbers.

I was just looking at this last night, I have a 2005 CRF 450 shock and compared it to my 2007 CRF 250 shock and the 250 is 2/3 around or so of a inch longer. The shaft may be the same but the bottom cleavis mount is longer.

It would jack a 450 rearend up, i thought the rear end linkages and so on would be the same my self but they are not,go figure!

If you jack a rear up on a bike how would it affect handling?

If the rod length is the only difference between the two can I use my 250 clevis by unscrewing it from my 250 rod and then screw the 250 clevis onto the 450 rod?

They shouild interchange,I would just buy a whole nother shock off ebay.Finding a shock that is like new for a 100 or so should not be a problem.

Found out that the not only are the clevis's deifferent but the shock shaft rods are different as well (the threaded section that goes into the clevis are different lengths) so you defintely need to use the specific part for your year/model bike.

They shouild interchange,I would just buy a whole nother shock off ebay.Finding a shock that is like new for a 100 or so should not be a problem.

Or you could go to suspensiondirect.com and buy a new shaft for $100 and call it a done deal. I just ordered a new nut for mine. Luckily my shaft is ok.