Sign in to follow this  

280 kit bike won't start

My buddy had a 280 athena kit installed in his 2010 crf250r.

The bike has started and ran with the kit in it a few times at the track. Once warm it's fine and starts right up but when cold won't start. Valves are in spec?

Has spark and fuel pressure?

How do you get it started to begin with? Push start it? Kick it forever? Idle speed could be causing your issue.

How do you get it started to begin with? Push start it? Kick it forever? Idle speed could be causing your issue.

he has been push starting it. Sometime he kicks it once and it fires right up. He is on x mas break and we had plans to hit the track but now he said it won't kick or push start. Said he tried pulling it with his truck with no luck.

Start by checking the valves. What you are describing is usually a valve problem. Not 100% sure, but you have to start somewhere.

Clean all electrical conections with electrical spray cleaner the use dialectric grease and re connect. Have seen all kinds of weird things when the wiring harness connections arn't good. If it starts easy every once in a while and runs good, I would guess wiring harness/ecu type problem. Valves and piston cracks are not usually intermitent.

You can also pull the throttle body and hold it up to a light and look through it if you do not see light around the edge of butterfly, it has build up from fuel. Clean it, it is designed so butterfly lets air through even when closed, it it doesn't the ecu will detect no air at kick start and wont give fuel.

I would pull head and look at piston we have seen quite a few bikes crack the piston down the middle and quit. Sometimes hard to see the crack from top of piston.

Make sure the AS is not turned to far out. The BB are very sensitive to jetting I would go no more then 2 turns out and use the choke. Also check the vent hose ensure it is empty, pull the plug and verifiy. Jetted correctly should start one or two kicks, my sons 280 fires easy.

Make sure the AS is not turned to far out. The BB are very sensitive to jetting I would go no more then 2 turns out and use the choke. Also check the vent hose ensure it is empty, pull the plug and verifiy. Jetted correctly should start one or two kicks, my sons 280 fires easy.

2010 has no jetting issues. EFI!