Sign in to follow this  

CR500 front fork height set-up

I just acquired a 97 CR500 which has suspension work done to it by proline I believe. It has all the clicker setting and such written down on the fork tube but there is no mention of fork height in the triple's. Right now they are pretty much at the top of the tubes. I know with my kx450 and rm250 they run anywhere between 10mm-16mm deep. I am new to the 500 so I am not sure if there might be some other reason they forks are set so high. I haven't been able to really get out yet due to a new rear tire needed so hopefully I can get an idea of fork height prior to going out.

Hi! Standard setting is very close to the top. I've lowered mine 10mm. I run with Supermoto wheels, but even with that i don't get any headshake, but the bike feels much lighter and quicker in the steering. It's quite slow to steer with standard height. It also depends on how your rear spring setting is of course.

Johnny

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not use to seeing forks clamped it almost at the very top so I was curious if it was due to it being a 500 maybe there were better reasoning behind it. I guess testing will be the answer and just keep adjusting from there.

Also, the standard front fork springs are very soft, 4,1N/mm. I weigh around 195 pounds and i use 4,8N/mm at front and 60N/mm at the rear, but i use my bike for iceracing and on the street though. Big improvement anyway=)!

Johnny

the suspension has been sent out and done for a 190lb rider so I am not sure what springs are in there but that weight suits me perfectly.