Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder Picture

Bought this 04 CR250 this summer, in process of thorough clean/grease/top end/etc. Came across this in the cylinder...thoughts??

img2118n.jpg

Edit: photo

I would not stick a new piston in that and run it!! i would deff have that cleaned up with a replate or have it bored.. The pic dosent really show just how bad it's chipped but you can see a difference in the cylinder beside the scuffing and the chip.. If it was me i would replate it..

Bought this 04 CR250 this summer, in process of thorough clean/grease/top end/etc. Came across this in the cylinder...thoughts??

img2118n.jpg

Edit: photo

Im not a big fan of replating!! I say biff it,purchase a brand new oem cylinder from service honda:thumbsup:

or hondaoftroy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HONDA-OEM-CYLINDER-2004-CR250R-CR250-CR-250-/200687755410?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Acces

it still ran like that??

Only indication that anything was wrong was a rough idle, which I thought to be a jetting issue due to sudden cooler weather, or plugged power valve. Anything above idle it was fine. Couldn't fix it so I garaged it until I had the time to pull it apart and this is what I found.

Should I be considered about damage in the bottom end? Those pieces have to be somewhere...or out the exhaust....?

+1 not to mention its on the exhaust bridge

Been following your thread..def won't use US Chrome! :bonk:

Plus I don't live too far from Eric Gorr or Millenium Technologies so I can just drop it off.

Been following your thread..def won't use US Chrome! :bonk:

Plus I don't live too far from Eric Gorr or Millenium Technologies so I can just drop it off.

Thanks! please post up some pics when you get it plated... everyone has recommended Millenium Tech im sure they do great work give them a shot :smirk:

i wouldnt be suprised if eric gorr farms his stuff to millenium. cut out the middleman and go directly to millenium.

Cylinder is all boxed up and ready to ship out tomorrow to MT. I'll post up before and after pictures when I get it back.

Had a difficult time with the exhaust valve and a dowel on the jug. Some time and patience got the flapper shaft out, guys at MT told me to forget about the dowel...it will dissolve during the chemical process.

If it ends up needing welding, which I don't foresee, the price jumps up enough (with all the shipping) that it makes more sense to get an OEM replacement jug altogether. I told them to call me before they do anything.

Should have it back in a week or so.

Cylinder is all boxed up and ready to ship out tomorrow to MT. I'll post up before and after pictures when I get it back.

Had a difficult time with the exhaust valve and a dowel on the jug. Some time and patience got the flapper shaft out, guys at MT told me to forget about the dowel...it will dissolve during the chemical process.

If it ends up needing welding, which I don't foresee, the price jumps up enough (with all the shipping) that it makes more sense to get an OEM replacement jug altogether. I told them to call me before they do anything.

Should have it back in a week or so.

sounds good, you shouldn't need any welding, did you send them a new piston ?

yeah it shouldnt need any welding for that.. I have never used MT but i have used powersealUSA and they did awesome on my 91' CR250 bore..

sounds good, you shouldn't need any welding, did you send them a new piston ?

I asked them to set it to OEM bore with the piston letter. They said that's what they typically do unless you want a specific bore.

I asked them to set it to OEM bore with the piston letter. They said that's what they typically do unless you want a specific bore.

i would get your piston matched to the bore before you run it to insure proper clearance. they always recommend sending a piston in any time it is plated

Now that the update is done, I thought I would update you on the progress.

Mill. Tech inspected the cylinder and said they found a crack at the bridge in the exhaust port. So with welding, the price went up enough that new options opened up to me. For almost identical prices I could have them fix it, order an OEM cylinder, or get a new setup from Eric Gorr. Gorr had an oem cylinder in stock and said if I sent him my head and exhaust valve he would inspect, clean, and set up everything with the piston he had. I decided to go with Gorr, get everything done and matched for the same price and get his expertise.

I am so glad I did.

So props to Millenium Tech...they ship to him a lot and just threw my old cylinder in with another shipment. He called and said that I actually had an 02 cylinder. Goes to show you that you never know what previous owners have done....gotta go through and check everything. He replaced it with an 02 saying that is a better year.

Picking it up on Thursday! :smirk:

Now that the update is done, I thought I would update you on the progress.

Mill. Tech inspected the cylinder and said they found a crack at the bridge in the exhaust port. So with welding, the price went up enough that new options opened up to me. For almost identical prices I could have them fix it, order an OEM cylinder, or get a new setup from Eric Gorr. Gorr had an oem cylinder in stock and said if I sent him my head and exhaust valve he would inspect, clean, and set up everything with the piston he had. I decided to go with Gorr, get everything done and matched for the same price and get his expertise.

I am so glad I did.

So props to Millenium Tech...they ship to him a lot and just threw my old cylinder in with another shipment. He called and said that I actually had an 02 cylinder. Goes to show you that you never know what previous owners have done....gotta go through and check everything. He replaced it with an 02 saying that is a better year.

Picking it up on Thursday! :smirk:

Eric Gorr is awesome. He does an awesome job for a very competative price. I recommend him to everyone.