Sign in to follow this  

AMA two stroke petition

Wont make a difference anyway. Times have changed and more than likely arent going to change back. There are tens of thousands of mx bikes sold every year in the U.S. alone. A few thousand people "signing" an invisible piece of internet paper over a course of a couple years isnt going to do anything except make money for the site thats hosting it. Even if every person who signed the dumb thing made a promise to buy a brand new 2t when they came out it wouldnt put a dent in the MILLIONS it would cost to develop and produce new 2t bikes to sell in the us again much less the rest of the world.

Wont make a difference anyway. Times have changed and more than likely arent going to change back. There are tens of thousands of mx bikes sold every year in the U.S. alone. A few thousand people "signing" an invisible piece of internet paper over a course of a couple years isnt going to do anything except make money for the site thats hosting it. Even if every person who signed the dumb thing made a promise to buy a brand new 2t when they came out it wouldnt put a dent in the MILLIONS it would cost to develop and produce new 2t bikes to sell in the us again much less the rest of the world.

+1:thumbsup: Agreed.

It won't happen but it wouldn't cost millions.

It won't happen but it wouldn't cost millions.

How you figure? How much you think it costs to develop a brand new engine and chassis (would have to be new sense the rules their asking for are for 300cc bikes which most companys never made)? and even for those companys who still make 2 strokes but dont sell is the usa, it costs much more than you think between shipping, customs, advertising. Ish, I bet the advertising alone on a new bike would be in the millions. How much you think it costs to produce dyes to make parts? A machined dye to stamp out a 2 stroke exhaust pipe half will cost upwards of $250,000 by itself (I know from experience of a friends chopper shop stamping out gas tanks). Then think of all the development that has to go into designing and testing it. It would definitely be in the millions and id dare say tens of millions to bring it to the dealers floor.

Either way its just not going to happen... This is from an interview about 12 months ago with Taichi Honda, the man who is responsible for the development of all of hondas mx bikes...

"Is there a future for two-strokes?

There is no future for two-strokes at Honda. Our policy is 100-percent four-stroke. It’s a green issue. Honda strongly believes in this in every product it makes, from motorcycles to garden trimmers. I know there is a two-stroke resurgence and that they have many good points. In fact, I own a 2005 and a 2007 CR250 two-stroke and ride them a lot. They’re completely stock with no HRC parts on them. I don’t race anymore. I just ride for fun with my son. But overall, 450 four-strokes are far better than two-strokes now."

How you figure? How much you think it costs to develop a brand new engine and chassis (would have to be new sense the rules their asking for are for 300cc bikes which most companys never made)? and even for those companys who still make 2 strokes but dont sell is the usa, it costs much more than you think between shipping, customs, advertising. Ish, I bet the advertising alone on a new bike would be in the millions. How much you think it costs to produce dyes to make parts? A machined dye to stamp out a 2 stroke exhaust pipe half will cost upwards of $250,000 by itself (I know from experience of a friends chopper shop stamping out gas tanks). Then think of all the development that has to go into designing and testing it. It would definitely be in the millions and id dare say tens of millions to bring it to the dealers floor.
Either way its just not going to happen... This is from an interview about 12 months ago with Taichi Honda, the man who is responsible for the development of all of hondas mx bikes...

There is no future for two-strokes at Honda. Our policy is 100-percent four-stroke. It’s a green issue. Honda strongly believes in this in every product it makes, from motorcycles to garden trimmers. I know there is a two-stroke resurgence and that they have many good points. In fact, I own a 2005 and a 2007 CR250 two-stroke and ride them a lot. They’re completely stock with no HRC parts on them. I don’t race anymore. I just ride for fun with my son. But overall, 450 four-strokes are far better than two-strokes now."

Sheesh, way to be negative... :bonk: There are still other companies that sell two strokes, and KTM is emerging as the ultimate niche 2 stroke provider for enduro. Have you ever thought about when they come out with DI fuel injected 2t's? I think it's going to happen soon, most likely first from KTM, but I don't know when.

So what, thats one manufacturer and a lame one at that. We all know Honda wants to kill 2 strokes.

When true DI comes into play, and 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than 4 strokes, but are less complex, meaning less manufacturing, and more efficient, well whos green then...

So what, thats one manufacturer and a lame one at that. We all know Honda wants to kill 2 strokes.

When true DI comes into play, and 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than 4 strokes, but are less complex, meaning less manufacturing, and more efficient, well whos green then...

agreed. yamaha, honda and suzukie all said, our new 4 strokes will put 2 stroke boat motors into thier graves because they will burn cleaner, be more fule efficent and last longer...

then BRP came out with etec...

ill let the industry do the talking. almost all the coast gard boats have etecs on them for good resons.

o..and the emition shit...lets just say even the cleanest 4 stroke only has a 2 star wile the dirty old e-tec has 3 star emitions, the only gas marine motor out there to ever get 3 stars....and lets not forget the 5 year warenty VS everyone elses 2 year limited hour warenty.

also, the FI/DI 2 stroke dirtbike thing is already a reality, there has been a FI 2 stroke trails biek out for quite some time. and a company(i cant remember which one) just put out a DI 2 stroke MX/XC.

to put another nail in the coffen, BRP has had exellent luck with there Etec sleds. they are the number one selling sled out there right now.

Major bike manufacturers racing in the USA:

Honda

Suzuki

Kawasaki

Yamaha

KTM

Only one doesn't mass produce two-strokes anymore.

lol

When did they win a championship last?

You know; this arguement about four strokes being 'better' than two strokes? That to me is like saying a Subaru WRX-STI is better than a KIA. Sure it is, but is mx catering to the wealthy? If that's the Japanese business model I suppose it explains the abysmal sales number the last 10 years...

Guys want cheap, easy to maintain and fast bikes. 4 strokes satisfy one of these requirements and yes, they have some advantages; but they have some disadvantages too.

My issue with the whole conversation is about the barrier to entry for young riders. Great sport making decent strides despite the industry's best effort to price the machines outside the range of the average person's pocket-book. There are a huge number of Americans that are foreclosing on their houses, so let's up the price of this hobby by a couple of grand on initial investment and by a factor of 10 on maintenance; that's what the sport needs!

lol

When did they win a championship last?

You know; this arguement about four strokes being 'better' than two strokes? That to me is like saying a Subaru WRX-STI is better than a KIA. Sure it is, but is mx catering to the wealthy? If that's the Japanese business model I suppose it explains the abysmal sales number the last 10 years...

Guys want cheap, easy to maintain and fast bikes. 4 strokes satisfy one of these requirements and yes, they have some advantages; but they have some disadvantages too.

My issue with the whole conversation is about the barrier to entry for young riders. Great sport making decent strides despite the industry's best effort to price the machines outside the range of the average person's pocket-book. There are a huge number of Americans that are foreclosing on their houses, so let's up the price of this hobby by a couple of grand on initial investment and by a factor of 10 on maintenance; that's what the sport needs!

It is doubtful that any new bike from the Big Four --or from Europe for that matter-- is going to be priced in an affordable range to the average person whether 2T or 4T. To me whether it is 2T or 4T hardly matters, the whole "green" thing is a marketing ploy for HIGHER MARGIN SALES --just like Lexus.

And like your Kia & Suburu idea (Korea/Japan), low barrier to entry has been taken up by devloping economies. Lower cost bikes made by Chinese makers are now filling the low-cost segment, it ain't the 1970s anymore.

please watch my video and comment saying good things about 2strokes. WE NEED TO KEEP EM` ALIVE!!!!