Sign in to follow this  

I need info for a 1986 kx250

Hi, I just bought a kx250 and I would like to know some more on the engine, power wise and what other years will have compatible parts. When I bought it I didn't like the suspension, it was missing plastics, and needed a lot of work. So I decided to put the engine in a late 90's kx125 chasis I had. After ten hours of bending, grinding, and breaking It's almost in all the way. I would just like to know what I should expect from the engine.

Thanks.

my 87 had some pretty good power. not like my 96. they came along way with engine design. if you can get a modern pipe to work with that motor you will be ahead. it should have pretty decent low to mid power. it doesnt have the third power valve like newer motors so top end will seem short. good luck and have fun with it.

That motor is smooth and fast.. carburates clean and is not a plug fouler.. I raced a complete one in the 2003 enduro season and won quite a few "A" senior class's with it.

Was able to be lugged down low and ripped in the middle and carried very respectable top end.

FMF pipe and silencer

If memory serves me correctly the kick start shaft was the weakest link but replaceable from the outside case..

Good luck..