Sign in to follow this  

What am I in for? (movement in the transmission shift shaft)

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying thankyou for all the advice DRZ forum users have given my so far... I have recently noticed play in the transmission shift shaft on my '05 DRZE. (The shaft the gear shift attaches to) I am slowly learning how to repair my bike, having previously stripped it down to a bare chassis, replaced all the bearings and rebuilt it (I've had it for more than two years). I have done basics like fork oil changes, electrical mods and muffler re-packing but I've never done anything inside the engine. I have good friends that are very mechanically capable though to help when I go beyond my pay grade.

I have just read the pdf of the clymer manual but I'm still a bit lost. I'm guessing the movement in the shaft relates to a bearing inside the crankcase which will need to be replaced correct? Here in Vanuatu parts have to be ordered three weeks in advance from New Zealand, so I try to be as prepared as possible before starting any big jobs. Can anyone give me an idea of what parts I need to order ahead of attacking this job? According to the clymer manual, the shaft can be removed with the engine in place - can the bearing also be replaced without taking the engine out of the frame?

Last of all, is there anything else that you would recommend replacing at the same time? Ie parts that regularly fail at roughly the same interval as the gear shift bearing?

Thanks again for all your help!

Circlip is definitely still in place, I had a good look at the shaft today. I'll have another good look tomorrow and compare to my mates bike but movement is about 1mm in any direction ie if you grab the shift lever and wiggle it around the shaft moves - I recently did a three day rally on the bike and fell off quite a lot. I managed to put a crack in the gear shift lever, break my clutch lever, and lose my rear brake master cylinder, rear brake pedal spring, and bike stand springs on different stages of the rally, which is why I thought I might have done damage to the bearing of the shaft...

On a side note eddie, I am keenly waiting for delivery of one of your quick turn throttles which I have ordered from your Australian ebay distributor, amongst a list of other Christmas presents for the bike - Zeta levers, case covers, and twisting grip wire pliers. Particularly when racing I get sore wrists from twisting the full range of the stock throttle - Can't wait! :bonk:

Circlip is definitely still in place, I had a good look at the shaft today. I'll have another good look tomorrow and compare to my mates bike but movement is about 1mm in any direction ie if you grab the shift lever and wiggle it around the shaft moves - I recently did a three day rally on the bike and fell off quite a lot. I managed to put a crack in the gear shift lever, break my clutch lever, and lose my rear brake master cylinder, rear brake pedal spring, and bike stand springs on different stages of the rally, which is why I thought I might have done damage to the bearing of the shaft...

On a side note eddie, I am keenly waiting for delivery of one of your quick turn throttles which I have ordered from your Australian ebay distributor, amongst a list of other Christmas presents for the bike - Zeta levers, case covers, and twisting grip wire pliers. Particularly when racing I get sore wrists from twisting the full range of the stock throttle - Can't wait! :bonk:

1: I’m Erik, Eddie is, Eddie Sisneros or SSW and likely who you ordered a Quick turn throttle from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11443&d=1252316103

The shift shaft has some normal radial movement.. if you fell hard enough to fracture the shifter (#34) .. you may have bent the shift shaft (#26), damaged or fractured the left case half OR deformed the bearing (#33).but 1mm as mesured at the far left end of the shaft sounds about right.

How dumb of me - sorry about the mix up - I've seen lots of your posts in my time reading the forum and lots of stuff of Eddie Sisneros and got you confused. Thanks for the exploded diagram and detailed explanation - very much appreciated!

As Erik has explained, lateral (in and out) movement of 1 to 2mm is normal. If the snap ring is in its groove on the shaft, everything is fine. If there is radial movement (up/down, forward/aft) that is damage to the bearing. If you have that much movement in the bearing, you probably also have a leaky oil seal. But damage or wear of that bearing is hard to imagine. It is almost indestructible because of its location. Is it possible the shift lever is just loose on the shaft? Try tightening the pinch bolt (36 in the diagram)

Noble, thanks for the clarification. Yes there is radial movement in all directions of about 1 - 2mm, in addition to the normal lateral movement. All visible parts on the shaft including the seal and circlip all move together when I put pressure on the lever. The gear shift lever is not loose on the shaft. There is a little bit of oil leakage around the seal.

Going back to my original question, can it all be serviced with the engine in place on the bike? What parts will I need to replace if I need to get to the bearing?

Noble, thanks for the clarification.
:smirk:

Going back to my original question, can it all be serviced with the engine in place on the bike? What parts will I need to replace if I need to get to the bearing?

Can you ? no idea... Can you? :bonk:

I think most decent wrenches could do this job, but I’ve seen folks here screw up an oil change, or swapping a battery.. So what you can do is anybody’s guess.

Right cover come off, the clutch and hub need to come off, remove the shift shaft, remove the shift shaft seal and bearing, replace all parts.

I would use a blind bearing puller to remove the bearing,,, Not sure what you have to do the same job.

PARTS: Right side gasket, coolant, oil, and bearing and seal as seen above.

And of course now you’ll need Noble to post some clarification :banana:

The only clarification I will add is this is such an odd failure, expect the unexpected when you start to work on it. You might find something very strange.

The only clarification I will add is this is such an odd failure, expect the unexpected when you start to work on it. You might find something very strange.

:bonk: We make a good team.. I'll post vague tech info, you clarify and expand as needed.

But I agree with Noble, not a common issue, and when seen, it’s normally noticed as an oil leak..

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice - definitely sounds like a job for the boys - they are pretty well kitted out to do most jobs. I'll order the parts and hope its not a disaster inside there...