Sign in to follow this  

What first?

i need some help.

im going riding a fair bit in the next few months, and i want to develope the skills i need to race..

i can ride, no problem but not at a great level.

i cant jump well i can get 5mm or so air (so sad)

i can get around corners and what not.. just want to know whats best for me to learn first so im not wasting my time.

i know that more time on the seat is better but i want to use that time wisely!

so any help will be awesome

Thanks Kurt

kurt, that is the most important thing SEATTIME!

but if you need a place to start building your skills, i'd work on proper body position, throttle control, and your corners.

goodluck

but if you need a place to start building your skills, i'd work on proper body position, throttle control, and your corners.

goodluck

okay cheers man, i thought about just cornering all day tomorrow, so ill keep them in mind :bonk: thanks

Actually, the most important thing is to first learn how to ride properly, then put in the seat time practicing those individual skills. You can ride around the track all day long doing the wrong thing and you won't learn anything. The key is to KNOW how to ride first through watching instruction video's, watching proficient riders on track and getting some feedback at the track.

Motocross is an intimidating sport and there is no doubt in my mind, that effects how people ride on-track vs in their back yard or on the trails. So perhaps if you have some location you can work on cornering and jumping away from the track, just so you have those skills in order before making the transition, its probably a good idea.

I spent a great deal of time on the trails before I even hit an MX track. I learned the very basic stuff of how to ride through a wide variety of conditions from big hill's to sandy conditions and had plenty of crashes to show my lack of skills. I was lucky, I had a friend who was helping me learn and without that, there is no way I would have learned as quickly.

All of that to say, proper practice makes perfect. It took me 6 months of non-stop practice, 3 times a week to train myself to keep my outside elbow up in the corners. Another year or so to figure out how to jump properly. I mean even with all the help I got, it was still extremely challenging. Its been 18 months since I started riding motocross and I'm nowhere near ready to race. Its not just about skills either, its about training for stamina, its about bike setup and mental preparation. Racing is no joke and in my opinion, its better to take your time and be prepared, then it is to go out there with your pants down looking like a fool like this guy > :bonk:

heh :smirk:

goodluck

he said it best just build your confidence up and dont try and rush anything. its will all come to you

I was at the same place you were not long ago. I recommend finding a 3 or 4 day motocross school in your area. Well worth the money to give you the basic skills to practice on your own afterwards so you don't develop bad habits from the beginning. A good drill to practice before that is to set up two marks about 75 to 100 feet apart and do a figure 8 around them starting slow at first them increasing the speed and trying to wait longer before you brake each time. This will give you a greater command of your controls ( remember to use front and back brake ) and make using them instinctive, then when you go to a motocross camp you can focus on the skills you are taught instead of braking, smooth throttle control and body positioning. Gary Semics has a great instructional videos filled with things you can practice off the track. Have fun and be safe :smirk: