Sign in to follow this  

Paralyzing Crash - 130 ft. Case

I found this video while browsing riding videos on youtube. I initially thought it was a terrible crash, but once I read the description, it really frightened me.. It says:
"i come up short on this jump, broke my thumb and my T12 verterbrte in my spine, im now paraplegic"

It really put it in check for me how dangerous motocross can be. I don't usually do jumps as big as the ones in the video, but I have cased this double before: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69835242@N08/6343780503/) and the only thing that happened to me was a bit of dizziness and a headache for the rest of the day.

But, I looked at this guy's other videos; and apparently he still rides with the help of some hand controls for shifting. Regardless, it's still pretty eye opening that his life is permenantly altered from that crash.... :smirk:

Stay safe, guys :bonk:.

Ouch! This sport is dangerous, that jump was huge! That's why im planning my track with just tabletops, don't really understand why jumps have to have gaps, makes it much more dangerous.

Ouch! This sport is dangerous, that jump was huge! That's why im planning my track with just tabletops, don't really understand why jumps have to have gaps, makes it much more dangerous.

Good idea. I'm usually down for a gap of about 20-30 feet or so, but anything more than that is just kind of uncomfortable. Table tops are plenty of fun, IMO.

Maybe I have bad Karma coming for this but, those jumps are dangerous as hell, that last one is like trying to land on the needle in the haystack. 130ft jump with a straight up peak with maybe 2 or 3 bike lengths for a landing. Damn good rider, just absolutely zero room for error.

No reason in the world to have a jump or complete a jump like that no reason at all. Pay your $$$ and go for broke my how society is slipping into a dark hole.

I quit riding/racing motocross about twelve years ago as realized I was at a point in my life that it just did not make sense anymore. I loved the big jumps and was fortunate enough to walk away with lots of good memories. My neighbor broke his back about four years ago and no longer has use of his legs. With that said I do miss it. Stay safe and don’t ride over your head.

know your limits, dont be a hero, huge doubles like that are stupid, how do you even gauge the throttle on something like that? Just run her taped in fourth?

Holy shit man. that is a jump i would never try. 130 foot table top....sure.... dont clear it and bounce over the landing..... and probably get pretty hurt... but that shit is sick.

these should be turned into tabletops... to prevent that... i mean you'd get pretty f'd up landing flat but not paralyzed... sucks bigtime man hope he's found a way to try to attempt to enjoy the sport still...

The huge double and triple mega jumping is just plain ridiculous. It doesn't improve the sport at all to me. Racing is racing. Smaller jumps with more turns, obstacles ala 70's early 80's is plenty great without the many massive injuries and more deaths that the sport has now. I go to our riding park and there are shrines from riders that have died in multiple places. This is where I think the sport is going backwards. The freestyle mx influence has helped give exposure and also ruined the sport at the same time to me. This actually has made it simpler for me to choose to ride offroad and slower tighter trails to help limit me hurting myself . I have to work and I have a family. I also think it screws up the newer kids starting off. They can't help but think that has to be the natural progression. I grew up racing motocross from when I was a kid and no way would I let my kid race with this kind of airtime that goes now. That jump is just stupid . The outcome is just sad.:bonk:

The huge double and triple mega jumping is just plain ridiculous. It doesn't improve the sport at all to me. Racing is racing. Smaller jumps with more turns, obstacles ala 70's early 80's is plenty great without the many massive injuries and more deaths that the sport has now. I go to our riding park and there are shrines from riders that have died in multiple places. This is where I think the sport is going backwards. The freestyle mx influence has helped give exposure and also ruined the sport at the same time to me. This actually has made it simpler for me to choose to ride offroad and slower tighter trails to help limit me hurting myself . I have to work and I have a family. I also think it screws up the newer kids starting off. They can't help but think that has to be the natural progression. I grew up racing motocross from when I was a kid and no way would I let my kid race with this kind of airtime that goes now. That jump is just stupid . The outcome is just sad.:bonk:

+ 1 Totally agree ... these are motorcycles not planes or hanggliders :smirk: To me you must assume / expect you will get hurt or die if you try a jump that BIG. And yes in the pro races i think SOME jumps are a little too big ... and the mx freestyle is just a CRAZY offshoot of the sport and i agree that it is getting many kids hurt / killed cuz this society will pay $ to see injury / possible death etc ... kinda sad .

+2 my local track actually doesnt have many big jumps, if they are there table tops. Motocross really needs to go back to its roots like you said, I hate hearing about kids who will never walk again because of a huge crash or even death.