Sign in to follow this  

Tires Desert IT VS MX51

Hey guys sorry to bring up the tire topic again but I am lost. I have most of the CCC mods done with 14/50 gearing and the bike RIPS! I love the way it rides here in the deserts of SoCal/AZ. I don't want to do anything to negatively affect performance so I am stuck between the 110/100 Maxxis Desert IT or the 100/100 Dunlop MX51. I have heard great things about both but also heard the Maxxis is very heavy and bogs down/eats clutches in the smaller 250. I need a strong rear tire that can take the abuse hard desert riding dishes out. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks guys!

I just put on a Bridgestone M604 and run it in the desert. It holds up much better than a 404 and doesn't weigh as much as the Maxxis. Just ran it on some singletrack here in socal yesterday for the first time and it worked great. They can be a little spendy, but longevity appears to be pretty good. :bonk:

I just put on a Bridgestone M604 and run it in the desert. It holds up much better than a 404 and doesn't weigh as much as the Maxxis. Just ran it on some singletrack here in socal yesterday for the first time and it worked great. They can be a little spendy, but longevity appears to be pretty good. :bonk:

Ok cool, what size are you running? Is it on a 250 or 450?

Ok cool, what size are you running? Is it on a 250 or 450?

I'm running a 110 on a KTM 300. 4 strokes are for dual sport, didn't ya know?! :bonk:

Hey totally agreed! Mine is AZ legal, just need to take it back there to get it plated. Does the 110 weigh much more than the 100?

I've never ran a 100 and compared it to a 120 that I used to run. I didn't find much info on TT on this tire as a lot of people run the Dunlop D739. I just wanted to try something different. My xr is plated in az.:bonk:

I run the Maxcross IT 100 rear and SI front. Awsome combo in Cali desert. This is what I race on.

Not sure why anyone would want or need to run a bigger tire on the bike. But I see the dilemma if the Desert IT is not available in the 100. I ran the Standard IT with good results in D37 Events (So Cal Desert). The standard IT is easier to mount too. That being said I ran the 110 Desert IT and it had no noticable affect to me on handling. I could usually get better deals on the on the Maxxis too. The MX 51 just does not last for me. Works good, just does not last. I think the new 71 is a more desert oriented tire no? Maybe those are worth a look. The Stones are good too. I never honestly put much thought in to rear tires as they get ripped apart so quickly in the rocks and such. I go for the best deals. Got me some $20 Dunlops from Cyclegear I need to burn through now:banana:

I love the Maxxis Desert 110 rear. Good traction and lasts much longer than the others. We use this tire on several different bikes in the family. Didn't like the Desert front tire, like riding on marbles.