Sign in to follow this  

Repacking material

Trying to find out what would be the best repacking material for my son's yz85 stock silencer.... heard everything from steel wool....home insulation.....and a variety of after market packing materials.....wondering which to get?

thanks

jim

I've always used the FMF stuff they stock in most stores. Never had any problems with it.

house insulation is exactly the same stuff fmf sells for 2 strokes just the strands arnt as long, my dad has been using it for years. depending on were you get it, can be much cheaper. :bonk:

Pretty sure house insulation will blow out faster, but it should work if you get it packed tight.

I use the FMF stuff or the Moose brand, depending on what they have in stock.

took the old packing out of both yz85's appears to bo stock as they were both identical, steel wool looking material follow by what looks like yellow insulation....looks like neither bike had every been changed......

I use fmf. I guess just because its made for it and also since i dont think 7.99 for 2-3 packings is much of an expense.

I use fmf. I guess just because its made for it and also since i dont think 7.99 for 2-3 packings is much of an expense.

Were are you buying Fmf packing from, for me in canada its close to $30

Were are you buying Fmf packing from, for me in canada its close to $30

For a 2 stroke??????

$12 tops, even in Canada.

I threw mine on a dennis kirk order, but i know you can get it off the fmf website as well.

If you get the fmf stuff its all individual strands tangled together. Just pull a big chunk off and wrap it around the core, then masking tape it in place and trim it flush. The pillow material is super easy, just wrap and tape, but costs at least twice as much. The only youtube i found for the fmf strands was some gomer who put way to much on with electrical tape. Just get a ten dollar bag and mess around with it, youll be efficient in no time.