Sign in to follow this  

1990 YZ125 project bike

Greetings,

I'm considering a 20 plus year old project bike. Just wondering how available Yamaha parts are for a bike this old??? A top end rebuild will need to be done and I do see parts kits are available.

Looking at parts I did see items for this age YZ were no longer available? I'm hesitant to get into a rebuild and come up short on parts needed.

Thanks,

Scott

Parts are available but usually at that age aftermarket is limited and you wind up paying oem prices. Check out the thumpertalk store, they sell oem parts for yz125's all the way back to 1984. Ebay usually has tons of stuff as well. Plus if you search around here you might get lucky with some good info. For example I found out the plastics from cr500's from around 91-2001 will fit my 91 cr125 and cr250! Interchangeability makes a huge difference when looking for used or aftermarket parts. My main question is why? I love old-school so if you tell me that's the case it's all good! But if it's price, you'll probably be better off being patient and finding a better deal on something a little newer, even if you're just looking for a project. But again old school is awesome and I love to see them brought back to their former glory (and then ridden like hell!)

Why are you looking to rebuild a 22 year old bike? Unless you just enjoy wrenching and want a project, it makes much more sense to spend the amount you will spend rebuilding the old bike on a newer model. You will never get your money out of an old restored bike...you will get alot more of your money back from a newer bike if you decide to sell down the road.

Thanks guys for the info and thoughts. Actually you both nailed what I've been pondering since the urge to get back into trail riding hit me. Old school and bringing back to life a bike I always wanted as a kid (actuallly that was a 78 YZ) would be enjoyable. But at the same time I'd like to have a reliable bike for woods riding.

Almost sounds like I need two bikes :bonk: A KDX 200 is another bike I have been looking at as well.

Thanks again for your posts.

Scott