Sign in to follow this  

Newbie rider getting into trails

Hey folks,

I'm a new rider getting into riding the trails N of Houston. I have limited dirt bike experience riding a 2-stroke 125 as a teenager. Mostly open fields having fun and a little motocross track stuff. I'll mostly be riding up in the trails of Sam Houston State Park. I'm looking to spend 2-2500. I'm 30 years old 6' 1" and 215lbs. I'm gonna ride a TTR 125, a CRF 230 and a KDX 200 this weekend. These bike belong to friends and they're letting me ride just to get a feel for what I want. Here's what I've been told to look at:

CRF 250

CRF 230

KDX 220

TTR 230

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I'm new to this and there's a fairly diverse market for used bikes here in Houston. 99.9% of my riding will be on the trails.

Thanks

Look for a ktm 200 or 300 exc or mxc. Check your local Craigslist there's plently on there for reasonable price!

the TTR and CRF230 are play bikes, you dont want these if you want to do any even semi serious riding. The best thing you listed is the KDX, but you really should be looking for a KTM 200. The 250/300 are awesome but may be alot of power, also any a GasGas 200/250/300 would be perfect, they are less common but can be found cheaper than a ktm...very comparable to the KTM performance wise. Look for an 08+ KTM or 07+ GasGas...should be able to find one around 3k. If you ride one....you will understand..its leaps and bounds better than the bikes you listed. That said a KDX is a great starter bike that also can grow with your ability.

Hey folks,

I'm a new rider getting into riding the trails N of Houston. I have limited dirt bike experience riding a 2-stroke 125 as a teenager. Mostly open fields having fun and a little motocross track stuff. I'll mostly be riding up in the trails of Sam Houston State Park. I'm looking to spend 2-2500. I'm 30 years old 6' 1" and 215lbs. I'm gonna ride a TTR 125, a CRF 230 and a KDX 200 this weekend. These bike belong to friends and they're letting me ride just to get a feel for what I want. Here's what I've been told to look at:

CRF 250

CRF 230

KDX 220

TTR 230

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I'm new to this and there's a fairly diverse market for used bikes here in Houston. 99.9% of my riding will be on the trails.

Thanks

The TTR 125 will be waayyy too small for your size. Depending on your skills, this is probably true of the TTR230 and CRF230 as well...they are beginner bikes which most outgrow very quickly. They are low on power and the suspension would bottom out quite easily with your weight.

By comparison, the CRF250 is somewhat of a high maintenance machine, I would avoid 250Fs. As you may or may not be aware, the 250Fs are high performance water cooled machines. The 230s are air cooled, low performance bikes. which is a completely different animal, they push out about 16-18 hp. The CRF230 and CRF250X have completely different engine designs...dont be confused by the 20 cc displacement difference, which isnt much. The CRF250Xs push out around 32hp. This is why its important to do some research...they really dont belong in the same category. The KDX200 or 220 would probably work...much more performance than the TTR or CRF230. You might also look at a XR400...I think this would suit your needs well. The XRs are low maintenance and bulletproof. For the record, I have owned a XR400 and a KDX220 in the last 2 years. I also know a guy that has a TTR250 and have ridden the bike.

the TTR and CRF230 are play bikes, you dont want these if you want to do any even semi serious riding. The best thing you listed is the KDX, but you really should be looking for a KTM 200. The 250/300 are awesome but may be alot of power, also any a GasGas 200/250/300 would be perfect, they are less common but can be found cheaper than a ktm...very comparable to the KTM performance wise. Look for an 08+ KTM or 07+ GasGas...should be able to find one around 3k. If you ride one....you will understand..its leaps and bounds better than the bikes you listed. That said a KDX is a great starter bike that also can grow with your ability.

+1 The KTM 200 would be a viable option as well...just more expensive. I currently ride a KTM 300 XC and its the best trail bike I have ever owned.