Alternative to AMA racing? I wonder aloud...

I was just thinking as I was signing that online petition for the AMA to change the rules to more fairly accomodate two-stroke technology...

What's the barrier to entry for an upstart racing series? The AMA is an association of two-wheel enthusiasts, but where is it written that it's the be-all and end-all of pro-motocross events? It's not the NFL; the 'tradition' factor is (imho) weak, there isn't (again, imho) not a team-franchise loyalty factor like in the major sports... it's about watching the competition, following brands and a few riders. Hell, I watch Canadian, European, MoN, SX...whatever shows up on the tube!

Up here in Canada, the CMRC, though not as lucrative has some pretty hefty sponsorship support and manages to get television coverage on American networks...

I'm pretty new to the sport, so I don't presume to judge much about anything, but surely there are plenty of other large tracks in the US, Canada and Mexico that would LOVE to host a nationally televised event; even some of the regular stops on the AMA tour would be inclined to host two in a year. The teams are profit-centers so I presume they'd go where the combination of purse-money and probability of earning chunks of those purses were highest.

Seems most of the sponsorship is from the after-market industry and they'd go where the riders are, and I'd have to believe there would be a huge influx of privateers that could ride on less expensive machines...

Now the trick would be television rights but frankly mx does not have a huge (comparitively speaking) viewership so I don't see the sell being difficult.

Copy/paste the rule-book, make a couple of minor changes to accomodate smokers and voila.

Maybe the AMA needs to face some competition before it's compelled to listen to it's audience?

As far as the two big series are concerned they're not ran by the AMA I believe. Supercross is ran by Feld Entertainment and The Outdoor Nationals by MX Sports. They are AMA Pro racing sanctioned events thus using the AMA rules. I think Television deals and rights are also handled by these two companies. I think for what you are suggesting to be successful one of these two would have to ditch the AMA and I'd think they'd have the pull to do it. Actually the Monster Energy Cup did something similar to your suggestion and didn't use the AMA rules. It was run what you brung. This is how Dungey was able to race as the AMA's homologation rule wasn't in effect. The other problem is the factories are going to race what they want to sell, so if they want to sell 4-strokes that's what we'll see racing. As evidenced by the MEC they could have raced 300cc two strokes or a cr500af for that matter but I don't think there was a single 2-stroke on the gate.

What's the barrier to entry for an upstart racing series?

Sorry didn't answer this part. I think it's money and power to compete with Feld and MX Sports and the lack of connections within the industry and TV networks that these two already have. I think most all of the current Pro teams would have to shift en masse to this new series or it dies on the vine. People want to see the big name guys and if there not there I think attendance will suffer.

So, you want a whole new sanctioning body just to accomadate 2 strokes? Don't get me wrong, I am not an AMA supporter nor member, I ride only 2 strokes. Almost every state here has a non sanctioned state championship where 250 2 strokes race 250 4 strokes. The gates are still full of mostly 4 stroke here in AZ. Same in CA.

And btw, the AMA does have a long history here. Hannah, Bailey, Ward, McGrath, Carlsbad, Unadilla Hangtown etc come to mind.

Almost every state here has a non sanctioned state championship where 250 2 strokes race 250 4 strokes.

Also on the amature level the AMA lets 250 2-strokes race in the same class as the 250f's. Not sure about what cc 2-troke is allowed in the 450 class in the amatures though. I agree the rules need some work to make it more fair for the 2-strokes at the pro level but I still think we'd still see the big teams racing 4-strokes.

Professional riders have at least a good enough contingency deal with a local dealer to be handed a new 450 to race every year. Why would they want an under-powered smoker instead? Not too mention racing a 250 against a 450 is an unfair displacement match, regardless of how many more it fires per stroke.

I can see where you are going with your suggestion, but 2ts are still a huge part of local amateur racing up until the kids are 11-or-12. Some associations are trying to find ways to keep kids in the sport through their teens by creating a 2t schoolboy class. This allows dad or mom to keep junior racing with a budget they are familiar with, instead of the sticker shock so many parents endure when they have to move up to the 4ts and all the "necessary" bling to accompany it.

Trying to create a race series from the top down will be hard, and will have little momentum. Finding ways to have more classes within each race series that are strictly smokers will keep the 2t mojo going.