XR650L Bike fell over and now wont go into 2nd

Any Ideas here? Was on the right side of the bike maneuvering it around the shop and the kickstand went up without me knowing it. Went to set the bike on the kickstand and it kept going! I saved it the best I could and actually smashed my toe between the peg and concrete which hurt like hell! This was last weekend.

I went to get on the bike this morning and popped it in first like normal, took of down the driveway and tried to shift into second... and no go. goes into neutral and wont go further. So all I have is 1st and neutral. No weird noises or anything else unusual. The bike is an '03 with 3500 miles on it, and I have never noticed anything unusual about the tranny or clutch except the normal 1st-2nd clunk.

Usually this means that the shifter arm has bent and is hitting the case. The arm can't go up enough to get the trans to shift. Just bend it out a bit and see if it fixes the problem.

Check the shift lever, I bet it got bent a little and is hitting on the stator cover when you try to shift into second. I will almost guarantee that is the problem.

I will check the shift lever again when I get home, I had already taken it off and straightened it back up, but maybe its up one too many teeth on the splines or something, however I'm not usually that lucky. What else can I check if that's not the problem?

If your lever is not tight on the shaft it will not shift right. Make sure that it is straight and tight.

If you can make the shift lever contact the cover when raising it up and pushing it in (Kind of like when you up shift and only contact the outer tip of the shifter) that is the problem. You shouldn't be able to make the shifter contact the cover in any way. Even if it comes close move it out away from the cover. I have seen this numerous times on several pigs.

Like everybody else said, I'll bet your shifter is hitting the cases. there are a few shifting linkages under the clutch cover that maybe got damaged. good luck

well it was just hitting the sprocket cover, phew! what a relief. Thanks for the help

I always think the worst when something like that happens. And forget to look at the simple things. Case in point. I have a 07 HD Dyna, left it idling on a gravel driveway while I closed the garage door, it idled itself right off the stand and broke a brake lever. I installed an aftermarket lever and then encountered a sticking brake light in the on position. Thinking it must be the switch I ordered one, got it in and was preparing to replace it. Friend stopped by and in assisting me noted the aftermarket lever blade was machined incorrectly and was causing the switch to stick. Bought a new OEM lever and wa-la prolem solved.

I know this is WAY old, but I just wanted to say that this thread just saved me from a small aneurysm. After a full top end rebuild, I couldn't get it into second. I was sure that I would have to take the whole thing back apart, split the cases and look around.

Thank goodness for TT!