Sign in to follow this  

Beta oil drain plug

Just purchased a brand new '11 520 rs. Putted around for 3 hrs. as the manual prescribes, and had some stalls, like I was running out of gas. Dealer said I need to get rid of smog crap, although I was under the impression Betas ran just fine out of the box, oh well. So I went to do the 1st oil change, borrowed the correct 10mm allen socket, and promptly stripped it. Called all over for replacement, as American Beta is closed for the Holidays, then the dealer finally found 1 in his parts bin, took 3 days for overnight delivery, and now a local mechanic has been using heat and easy outs and it hasn't budged! Meanwhile while it was in the shop I had him replace countersprocket, and when he was tightening it back down, the bolt head twisted off. I'm confident he wasn,t over tightening, as the broken bolt came out with a chisel and screwdriver. Got a replacement from the local KTM shop, and that problem is solved. I don't want to be a Beta basher, but I spent almost 9 grand, and I only have 4 days left before I go back to fishing in Alaska, and I was hoping to get some riding in.

I had the same problem with the oil drain plug, although my bike was used and I don't know how tight the PO tightened the plug. I got it out with a large extractor from Sears. I replaced the plug with the new style from Beta. It has an external hex.

The sprocket bolt I have had on and off with no problems. I always use a torque wrench on stuff like that, and the proper loctite as per the manual. No problem getting it on/off with hand tools.

Don't get discouraged with the Beta. Fix a couple of quirks like that and enjoy it!

Mark

A flat sharp chisel on the outer edge of the drain plug worked for me. It takes the concave outer edge pressure off of the bolt. Thanks to Scott @ Motoconnection.com for that hint.

To the op, you sure about that guy working on your bike? No need for heat that's for sure.

Just purchased a brand new '11 520 rs. Putted around for 3 hrs. as the manual prescribes, and had some stalls, like I was running out of gas. Dealer said I need to get rid of smog crap, although I was under the impression Betas ran just fine out of the box, oh well. So I went to do the 1st oil change, borrowed the correct 10mm allen socket, and promptly stripped it. Called all over for replacement, as American Beta is closed for the Holidays, then the dealer finally found 1 in his parts bin, took 3 days for overnight delivery, and now a local mechanic has been using heat and easy outs and it hasn't budged! Meanwhile while it was in the shop I had him replace countersprocket, and when he was tightening it back down, the bolt head twisted off. I'm confident he wasn,t over tightening, as the broken bolt came out with a chisel and screwdriver. Got a replacement from the local KTM shop, and that problem is solved. I don't want to be a Beta basher, but I spent almost 9 grand, and I only have 4 days left before I go back to fishing in Alaska, and I was hoping to get some riding in.

That sucks. Be sure to contact Beta about it and see how that warranty works. 6 months? a year? I forget what it was but I'd make sure it's mentioned. That's a first I've heard of these problems but thanks for letting everyone know what to watch for. I love my Beta but it doesn't get any slack for whatever problems it gets. Still I've gotten good service from american Beta. Hope you get good service too. I remember now. I have the ktm rfs motor in my Beta. I changed the bottom oil/filter cap whatever just about as soon as I bought mine. I had read about problems with that stripping on ktm threads so I dealt with it early. What's the deal with that part not being dealt with anyway? I can't remember now but I think it was dirt tricks made the upgraded parts. I forget but I think I got this one or something similar :

http://www.bikebonz.com/images/sitebdy/purbdy/dplug/of_plug.htm

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

A quality bike needs quality tools and know how.

Naw this is just a weird design flaw. Every bike has something goofy. This is just this ones. Every bike no matter how much it cost has it's weird little stuff to deal with.

My 09 Beta has a ktm rfs motor that has been around a long time. The Beta's got the best generation of the rfs motor that many people love. Why didn't that motor get the drain plug fix from the factory? It should have been but wasn't.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Mine stripped as well very first time I put a snap on 10 MM allen on it. Very Very soft metal indeed. Scott @ Motoconnection sent me a new one w/ out a fuss for free. didn't even want the old one back. you can see it didn't take much to get it out. I had a dremel and all sorts of stuff ready. Two pops on the outside edge and it freed

drainplug.jpg

Betabling.jpg

The oil plug being too tight from the factory was an issue on my bike as well. Evidently some of the 2011 520 RSs oil drain plugs were installed by King Kong. I know of a couple of other bikes that had the same issue. I inadvertantly broke my contershaft sprocket bolt also. I vigorously violated the Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosie law.

Thanks for all the replies, it finally came out with gentle persistent chisel work. Rode for an hr yesterday up in the mountains here, and everything seemed fine,[although the bike's traction on ice leaves a little to be desired], just kidding, I'm going to take it down to the desert today, and have a little fun!

Hawaiidirtrider, I'll talk to Tim on Tues and see what can be worked out, and order 1 of those hexhead drainplugs, again thanks for the responses... happy riding