Sign in to follow this  

GG TXT Pro ('02) Fork Setup question....

I've seen posts to this effect, regarding fork setup on an '02 GG TXT Pro:

The knobs are for fine-tuning the suspension damping, black/left for compression and red/right (red=right=rebound) for rebound. The 02' forks work well with the black all the way out and the red all the way in (bottom the screws lightly so as to not damage the internals).

This would result in no compression damping, and full rebound damping, right?

That would mean the forks would compress really easily and fast, but would come back really slow.

Can anyone explain the logic behind doing this? Or are these recommendations suboptimal?

I would have thought faster rebound would be better....and that more compression damping would help as well given how hard we slam into obstacles at times....wouldn't that lift the rear better?

Just trying to understand better, so as to be able to adjust my fork settings optimally, since I'm planning to replace the fluid and seals this winter.

Thanks!

I always tell people that they are knobs - so play with them in sections and see what they do for yourself. However, be ready to come away alittle let down as they dont make a ton of difference. Most people leave them as you indicate. They are primarily high speed adjusters, so you will feel the biggest difference on hard drop/zap type of obstacles, not so much riding slowly in a stream bed or pushing on the ft end in the garage. I find fluid viscosity changes much more noticable as this effects all speeds. I run a 5 wt in the comp side and a 10 wt in the rebound side to help compensate for my HD springs. Still feel pretty springy.. Ive never tried any other setups other than stock and went to the the 5/10 wt on a suggestion when I got the HD springs. They feel much better than my old bike that had Paiolis.

Always great explanations!! Thanks Laser! Now, maybe you are the one to know where we can see a video of maintenance work done on an aluminum Marz front fork as found on my 2007 300 Raga.

I've seen all of the videos for the old Paolis and the Gas Gas branded forks on my 2001, 2002 Pro and my wife's 05 200 Pro, but nothing yet on the 40mm forks for my 04 300 Pro nor the 07 Raga..

Thanks in advance!

Good info...but I still don't understand the logic behind reducing the compression and increasing the rebound damping.

Can anyone explain the logic of that to me?

I'll play with the settings....but that'll be in the spring when the winter is done. Got nearly a foot of the white stuff on the ground, and so it's not likely I'll be riding till late March at the earliest.

Me not being able to ride --> :bonk:

2-ply. YOUR the video expert buddy. I fully expect your maintenance routine with the forks will be shot in HD and have some Buffet music in the B/G.

Andrezj. The forks are Italian. The Bike is Spanish. Trust me - logic is in short supply, but it seems to work well somehow...:bonk:

2-ply. YOU'RE the video expert buddy. I fully expect your maintenance routine with the forks will be shot in HD and have some Buffet music in the B/G.

I can't wait to see 2Ply's videos on this. :smirk:

Andrzej. The forks are Italian. The Bike is Spanish. Trust me - logic is in short supply, but it seems to work well somehow...:banana:

OK...OK....now it makes sense...sort of! :busted: I'll just give the settings a try and see what happens....once this damned snow melts and I can ride again!

In the meantime, I picked up a unicycle yesterday. Wife didn't get me one under the tree, so I got one myself. Merry Christmas to me! :awww: Got one with a 20" fat tire...looks like a trials tire even, and is suitable for offroad fun. So the winter project, besides all the wrenching on the dirt bikes, will be to try and learn how to ride one of these contraptions indoors, and hopefully will be able to play outside once the Spring arrives. :bonk: