Sign in to follow this  

97 kx 250 shifting problems

Well I took my bike out for a little while today and had my ride cut short. It is stuck in first gear, nothing really happend. I stopped to help my son out and got back on it. I coulnt get it to shift into neutral when I was starting it, but got it started and went on my way. It did shift ot 2nd then back to first and I stopped to check it out, and again couldnt shift at all. It grabs a little with the clutch pulled in, but I can still start it. Any idea's I havent opened it up yet, but probably will later

Gonna pull the clutch and side cover in the morning. Really dont think it is a tranny problem I has never felt off shifting at all I really think it has something to do with the shifter itself whether its the lever or part that is internal. Guess I have to get some gaskets now...guess I may was well finally fix my stripped oil plug also:smirk:

Anyone know if I can get just the gaskets I need? Every website I look at has the whole set not just the clutch gaskets. My local shops are closed and I cant check with them right now.

i make my own gaskets with material you can get at the local hardware store. thats if i dont need to do a complete teardown.

So I cracked open the bike today, and just as I had suspected the shift fork behind the clutch isnt re-engaging. Dont know if the spring is worn, or there is somethign causing it to bind yet, but good news either way, cause its cheap to fix !

390473_2633632834424_1063526949_32367914_1240633751_n.jpg

I had same problem with my 97 kx 125 ... here is solution !!

take the fork arm that contacts the shift star and take it off shift shaft and it shud slide very easy with no binding (it is 2 pieces in one that slide ) ... it needs to ratchet back and forth to catch the teeth on the star between each shift .... my PV blew the bearings out and they got crushed inside case cover .... long story short TINY pieces got caught in that fork piece and it wouldn't ratchet back and forth smooth and i couldnt shift just like your problem !!!!

The fork piece that grabs the shft star should have a spring connected to it that pulls it back into place after shift so its ready for next shift ... i wud bet thats your problem either it has junk in it so its stuck or the spring is worn out ...

Shud be able to simulate a shift and see the fork move back and forth to contact the shift star piece ...

i was very excited when i fixed mine for ZERO $ ... just needed to be cleaned cuz had TINY metal shavings in the fork piece making it stick and not return for the next shift

Good luck .... let us know what happens :bonk:

also check out fork arm part carefully ... the fork part that slides has a certain distance to move in order to catch the shift star ... i just remembered my fork piece moved but not far enough to catch the teeth on star ... it was a tuff find but i was looking at pic in manual and i could see that my fork piece wasnt sticking out as far as one in pic ?

Sure enough after i really investigated i noticed i was short by just mm's but once i cleaned the fork piece and spring , lubed it with trans oil it work perfectly ... u have to move the crank while shifting in order to simulate a shift to see if it works before putting on cover :bonk:

What mine turned out being was a shard of metal. The previous owner of my bike stripped out the oil drain plug. I am assuming this is where the small piece of metal came from, because it was aluminium. It got stuck in between teh 2 forks and wouldnt let it recoil properly. Already have it back together and working perfect:banana::bonk:

What mine turned out being was a shard of metal. The previous owner of my bike stripped out the oil drain plug. I am assuming this is where the small piece of metal came from, because it was aluminium. It got stuck in between teh 2 forks and wouldnt let it recoil properly. Already have it back together and working perfect:banana::smirk:

Glad to hear u fixed it .... was same type problem i had ( a piece of tiny metal in btwn the 2 fork pieces )

It sure is nice when they are easy fixes :bonk: