Always tinkering with the bike !!!

I am always out in the garage tinkering, cleaning , greasing , sometimes just looking at my KX 250 ... my daughter complains a lot that i am ALWAYS working on the bike :bonk:

If they only knew how much fun it is to work on the BEAST :banana:

Who else is "dirtbike CRAZY" like me and is always messin with their bike ?

Im currently in garage (35 degrees) working on suspension linkage and praying for one more good weather day to ride ?

My wife and daughter both complain. I enjoy working on them almost as much as riding them.

I am fortunate that where I live we can ride all 12 moths of the year.:banana:

Lucky man to ride year round :bonk:

Jan - Mar is seriously a depressing few months for me around here :busted:

I wud be going stir crazy if it wasn't for TT ?

yup same here!! 365, 12months. some days are really wet thou!!!

havent been working on the bikes so much as of last month n half or so. got laid off. before, i work 2nd shift 3-12am id get home right to the garage, wake up spend hour or so in the house then out to the garage for a few hours before work. actually this makes me want to go work on the XR, trading it soon so i better get another ride in this weekend. woohoo!!!!!!!!

[quote=luckycr125;10910182

i am definitley crazy about my 250 2 stroke like you sometimes ill just go out to my shop just to stare at it and think about how much joy it brings me

I too am guilty of just going out in the garage and staring at the bike

I to find myself in the garage quite often. Picked up a new to me 09 yz 450f at the beginning of December and have only been to the track with it once....cannot wait for spring. Between building the wooden derby cars for my two cub scout sons, and cleaning my two bikes, the garage has become a very popular hangout. I'm not much of a mechanic, put I can do the fundementals of basic dirt bike up keep. The warmer weather can't come fast enough.

ds

I like doing light duty stuff to pass the time but kind of dread doing the bigger jobs like coming up for me next month. I have a pretty worn out KTM smoker after this season. Luckily I only have about 30hrs on my last top end rebuild so that's good for a while but the clutch is done, rear wheel bearings, rear tire, front & rear brake pads, steer tube bearings, rear shock rebuild/new spring, silencer repack and all in all just a damn good greasing and cleaning will be taking place.

:bonk: !!!!Idea! Hey luckycr125, you wanna come over for some beers and do some work lol..?

I can't stand the winter off time but if it didn't happen I wouldn't have time to do the bigger jobs like motor and suspension. Its nice to be able to take your time and frame the bike every year and go through it. Clean all the parts that are hidden and inspect/ freshen.:bonk:

• Like 1

My buddies always bust my balls about the amount of time I spend tinkering with my bikes.

I "remind" them of this, when we're on the side of the trail working on their bikes :bonk:

I spend about 5 hrs a week working on bikes(general maint.). I'm either working or riding. I'm lucky, as I can ride 12 months a year. My primary "woods" bike is old, ugly, and looks completely ridden down. I carry parts, tools, and tow strap. I have yet to work on my own bike trailside in a very long time. Luck? Or just good upkeep?

I use and maintain 4 bikes. It's not a joy anymore so I streamline. Odd things I do that buck the normal trend that have worked well for me. Never pressure wash a bike unless you are getting ready to tare down an engine. Never wash a bike unless you need to rinse off heavy mud. Water pushes dirt into mechanical parts wearing them out. Never ever clean a chain but spray a light coat of tri-flow before each ride. Chains will last the life of a bike this way. Change oil when it turns color or smells and not before. It lasts a lot longer than two rides. I never look at an air filter untill it starts to run rich. Thats ussually 1/4 inch of crud on them in spots. I never clean them but replace them with a new one. The one in my XR has not been looked at in 6 months and my KTM200 has been in at least 1000 off road miles. I have no plans to even look at it yet. Why stir up the dirt that can wind up in an engine? Why wash a filter pushing dirt all the way thru it risking a piece getting sucked into the engine? They cost 25 bucks for a new one. Just changing them risk a few grains of dirt getting into the engine so I don't do it untill they are fithy. Dial them in and leave them alone.

[quote=luckycr125;10910182

i am definitley crazy about my 250 2 stroke like you sometimes ill just go out to my shop just to stare at it and think about how much joy it brings me

i had to laugh at this one. i'm going to move into an industrial live/work loft soon and i was joking with a co-worker that when i do i'm going to put my KX in the living room area so i can just sit there and stare at it. iv'e since realized i wasn't really joking.

My buddies always bust my balls about the amount of time I spend tinkering with my bikes.

I "remind" them of this, when we're on the side of the trail working on their bikes :bonk:

Same here! I'll remind them of there ball busting skills when they want me to "look" at something on there bike.