Sign in to follow this  

2 Strokes........

upside down bikes with oil pumps is no bueno, but FMX pros don't care they get bikes for free

there on them because there sponsors give them to them for free.

they cant get new 2 strokes anymore. (from most of the companies) so they switch over to 4 strokes. its simple. more money in thier pocket.

I'd think the engine braking would screw them up since they don't keep their hands on the throttle and clutch like MX racers do in the air. My only real experience with jumping modern 4strokes is on a 2005 WR250F and I had to really focus on not letting the engine bring the front wheel down while airborne. Do the newest MXers have considerably less engine braking?

there on them because there sponsors give them to them for free.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

The Japanese don't want to see 2 strokes on TV, so they keep on forcing the guys into 4 strokes.

I think its funny nobody in "freestyle" rides KTM's. Bravo for KTM keeping a distance from them! heh :bonk:

FMX guys dont get them for free they might get discounts but not many get fully fleged bikes for free, I remember reading a few articles about this point and alot of the top FMX riders said the same thing, when they are touring say with the Xfighters they get given some old clapped out CR250 that you just wouldn't want to jump, but now they have switched to 4 strokes they get new stock bikes which are much safer.

At one point, one of the announcers (X games or X Fighters) said guys were using 4 strokes because they could corner faster and/or easier and maybe have enough time to squeeze one more jump into their run. I'm not sure if i believe this, but its just a thought. The majority of FMXers still seem to be on 2 strokes though. Nate Adams, Jeremy Stenberg, and only a few other guys are on thumpers

Mat Rebeaud
Danny Torres
Levi Sherwood

Ok ya got me. I guess I wasn't paying attention enough. Plus some of their bikes are pretty hard-core altered look wise and unless you watch freestyle on a regular basis, you wouldn't be able to tell with a one-off jump viewing. :bonk:

this is absurd, now half the freestyle guys are riding 4 strokes.......what has this world come to :bonk:

What has the world come to?

Large 2-stroke MX manufactures: KTM, Yamaha, Husky, Gas Gas.

Large 4-stroke MX manufactures: Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, Husky, Gas Gas.

Honda will never go back to selling 2-stroke, it would conflict with their green image.

FMX guys dont get them for free they might get discounts but not many get fully fleged bikes for free, I remember reading a few articles about this point and alot of the top FMX riders said the same thing, when they are touring say with the Xfighters they get given some old clapped out CR250 that you just wouldn't want to jump, but now they have switched to 4 strokes they get new stock bikes which are much safer.

Yeah i was gonna say i doubt they get bikes for free because manufactures would be loosing alot of money if that was the case :smirk: