Chain ?

Got a question for you guys . . . looking over the 450 I noticed that the chain was missing the O-Rings on the outside of the master link . . . all the other O-Rings were entact including the ones on the inside side of the master link just not the outside. I figured they missed that during the install probably. The master link appeared to be looser than the rest of the links. So seeing how I just replaced the chain on my 250, I had O-Rings off of it and it was also a stock KTM Regina chain so I went ahead and popped the master link and put them on, but now the master link seems really tight and doesn't want to move like the other links do . . . too loose before and now too tight. Will it loosen up after a couple miles? Not sure if it might be better the way it was before or not :bonk:

I use two needle nose vise grips to compress the link, so the clip will slide on easily. Don't use a chain breaking too to compress the link, as you can bend the plate. How do I know this?? :bonk:

Been there done that. If ya ask me, there's a place where someone can come up with a better mousetrap.

:bonk: Well seeing how I did use the chain braking tool to install the masterlink on both of my chains, how do I check to see if I bent the plate? Hoping I got lucky, everything seemed okay and the clip seemed to be seated properly, etc.

You be able to see that it's bent, if it is. That link will also 'hang up' as it travels.

You be able to see that it's bent, if it is. That link will also 'hang up' as it travels.

Doesn't look bent, but even after a hundred miles the masterlink seems really tight after installing the O-rings. When I push the bike looking down at the chain, when it moves across the swing arm, you can see the master link is not laying down flat like the other links do. Seem like it was working better when it was missing the O-rings on one side. Should I try replacing the master link with the spare I got for my tool bag?

Hey Roger,

What does that tool do?

Hey Roger,

What does that tool do?

Place the master link and chain ends onto the small pillars, then pivot a flat blade screwdriver across a large pillar to remove or install the clip. One large pillar is for install, one for remove. No clamps, pliers, three hands, etc. needed. The leverage generated is enough to compress the o-rings and snap that 'lil clip home easily.

I dropped running O-ring chains 10 years ago, never looked back. ?

Same here. On the 4T the standard chain would last as long as the sprockets and on the 2 T it seemed to rob power. Just seemed like an wasted expense, may be a different story in lots of water and mud:excuseme:

So what should I do . . . doesn't seem right, after 100 miles it's still really tight, doesnt' want to lay flat like the other links. Looks like the o-rings are squished like there wasn't enough room for them on both sides. Should I throw the masterlink I bought for my tool bag on it and see if it helps. Or should I remove the o-rings I put in and leave it the way it was with o-rings on one side?

Until I can get a little press, or that orange tool, what is the proper technique? I have a c clamp that I could use with a socket or something if using the breaker like I had done isn't the right way, but what's the right way to do it using the c clamp?