Sign in to follow this  

Starts and runs for 1 second...

Im sure this is probably an easy one for you guys but Im a little rusty on these things. 07 KX250F just took it in and had the valves checked/set. Once I got it back together I cant get it to run for longer than 1 or 2 seconds. I am kicking it with choke on...it will fire and run and sound good for just a second then shut off like I hit the kill switch. 5 or 6 more kicks and it does the same thing. I did have the carb off while it was getting the valves checked so I may have done something? It has an aftermarket fuel adjusting screw. Thanks

Double checked timing and valve gaps...everything looked good. Took carb apart and found the little o-ring that goes around my aftermarket fuel screw was broke in half with the other half MIA. Gonna order a new one. Hopefully that's the problem?

well for starters lets make sure you have the thing set up properly to begin with a 42 pilot and the screw out 1.5 turns. The fuel screw doesnt necessarily need that oring to be right. It helps though. That or you stored the bike and didnt drain the fuel and it clogged your pilot up and now it wont run. if you didnt drain the fuel this will be your problem and its a very easy fix.

The bike did sit for over a year while I was overseas. I took the carb off when I got home and cleaned it all out. I have a 42 pilot and a 175 main. Will clean it all again while I am waiting on new fuel screw and o-ring to get here.

well dont just clean it, make sure you run some wire in the holes of the pilot like floss, because even though you rinsed out the holes, the stuff builds up calcium on a leaky hose line and needs some encourage to get taken out.