Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse Core EXP - grabby clutch, brake pedal issues

To start with, I called Rekluse a few times on Wednesday, when I was originally installing the clutch to ask about the brake pedal questions and a couple other install questions. After getting a "we are busy, leave a message" prompt until almost closing time, I finally left a message. 2 business days later, still no call back, which is kind of disappointing. I understand that it's the holidays, but it's still frustrating, given the things I have heard about their customer service...

On my 2002 YZ250, I installed the Core EXP a couple of days ago. Did the break in and it was working perfectly. Then, let it cool while I ate and got some other stuff done, and re-set the installed gap per the manual (about the same as before break in, even though it was 2 more ticks from the starting point).

Now the clutch is really grabby when in gear, and the grabbiness doesnt go away until about 1/2 to 3/4 through the clutch lever pull.

Any ideas? Should I increase the installed gap? Perhaps my idle is too high (though it is just above where the bike runs rough)?

One other issue is that, even with the spacer the brake pedal rubs on the new cover. I assume it is safe to bend it out a bit? It doesn't rub much, but it is already rubbing off some of the finish from the cover. Putting in another spacer seems to be a poor option, since it will put more horizontal pressure on the master cylinder, but maybe that is an option also?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

As for the grabby clutch, I'm not familair with the Rekluse exp, but with my Dynaring the gap is crucial to getting rid of the grabbness. So changing the gap will likely help.

Idle is a big factor: the auto clutches engage relative to engine RPM. So, if your idle is too high it will effectively "trick" the clutch into thinking your trying to drive/accelerate. With the auto clutch I set my idle as low as I can without killing it. If the idle is high your clutch will think your at 1/8-1/4 throttle, respectively. Since you idle is rough, se if you can smoothen out out to idle lower; if not, then skip to the clutch gap.

First: set you idle as low as you can. If that doesn't help then you'll need to address the gap. Also, the auto clutches don't perform at their best until your motor is completely warmed up. So make sure you're hot before assessing for adjustments.

Final note: my Dynaring took a bit of break in. After setting it as best I could, brand new, it was still a little grabby, but after my first real ride on it (about 2hrs) it was smooth like butter. Plus, unless you like to idle your bike, in gear, on the kickstand without ou on it, who cares if it grabs a little... You won't notice when actually riding.

As for the brake pedal: I would try to space it ot more before bending it if you can. It is OK to bend it, but that will weaken your lever, if only a little bit.

went for a ride today (about 4-5 hours) and it was grabby pretty much the whole time. I will try to lower my idle, and see if that helps, and otherwise increase the gap.

Thanks for the advice :bonk:

What oil?

What fibers?

When I do a Rekluse, I buy their fibers and run Rotella dino oil, I think that is what they test with. Grabby clutches are usually an oil thing. If you installed new fibers, did you give them a good soak in oil first? Did you change brands of oil with the already installed fibers?

My Core EXP took quite a while to break in to the point that it wouldn't occasionally kill the engine once in a while when it got a little hot in nasty woods sections. But I would have never called it gabby in general use like a grabby stocker.

What oil?

What fibers?

When I do a Rekluse, I buy their fibers and run Rotella dino oil, I think that is what they test with. Grabby clutches are usually an oil thing. If you installed new fibers, did you give them a good soak in oil first? Did you change brands of oil with the already installed fibers?

My Core EXP took quite a while to break in to the point that it wouldn't occasionally kill the engine once in a while when it got a little hot in nasty woods sections. But I would have never called it gabby in general use like a grabby stocker.

Maxima 80wt

Not sure, came with the bike, they are still on the low side of new, according to the manual

I didn't replace the fibers, and didn't soak them, but I did soak the exp. It worked perfectly when breaking in, no grabbiness at all. After break in, the starting point was 2 ticks less than it was before, and it became grabby.

I am going to start with adjusting the idle, and if I can't clear it up, I'll experiment with he gap and other oils.