Sign in to follow this  

Control switch for lights

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the headlight. I want to be able to control the running lights via switch for when I'm riding off road. I'd like the option to control whether or not I want to use the headlight and if possible have ALL running lights off to conserve the battery for those likely spills we take out in the middle of nowhere and pray it starts right away without draining all the battery juice.

I'm sure someone has posted this question at some point in the past, but I don't have time to go through over 1000 threads to find it... If it has been addressed before then just please tell me what page it's located on and I'd greatly appreciate it. If it hasn't been addressed, I sure could use any advise on wiring in a control switch, or whatever is required to achieve this!

First you should identify what model DRZ you have. Remember there are 3 with a battery - E, S and SM.

Rather than worry about turning off lights, I would recommend the super start battery kit.

Assuming S or SM, you can turn out the headlight by reversing the plug to the headlight. Will be OFF on HI beam if I recall correctly. Or you can add a switch to the ground wire. Or a switch where the orange wire plugs into the yellow with white trace wire that goes to the dimmer switch. The tail light is a separate circuit and if you want to kill both the tail and brake light, put a switch in the taillight ground wire.

Another choice is to buy the European switch module that includes a light switch.

Thanks for the prompt reply! You're right, I didn't specify which model I have. It's a 2011 400S. Where would I find this European switch module that includes a light switch? Can I purchase one specifically for the DRZ, or is this a universal switch that can be mounted on the bars somewhere? If I'm unable to just simply purchase a switch to install, then I'll look into the wiring options you mentioned...

once your bike has been running for 1 minute (guessing), the battery is at 100%, so turning these items off will have no effect on battery fill.

What? Err, no.. ..

If your saying the battery has fully recharged in 1 minute after starting, your incorrect.

If that is not what your stating,,,,,, then restate, as your statement is confusing, misleading and incorrectly stated :bonk:

What? Err, no.. ..

If your saying the battery has fully recharged in 1 minute after starting, your incorrect.

If that is not what your stating,,,,,, then restate, as your statement is confusing, misleading and incorrectly stated :smirk:

well then, how long does it take to re-charge from a single start? since you're saying i'm incorrect, that implies you know the answer. :banana::bonk:

the basis of my point is that contrary to what he's posted, the lights arent powered off of the battery, they're powered off of the stator. So killing the lights while running wont have any effect on the battery (assuming the system is working properly)

Remove your cowling and unbolt the top bolts on the headlight bracket. Tilt the headlight out, pull the headlamp plug off the light, rotate it 180* and you will have high beam only (note there will one tab of the headlamp exposed) and the low beam position on the stock switch will turn your light off completely.

Bartender- Well ultimately everything on the motorcycle is powered of the stator. But if the motor is not running, then everything is powered from the battery. Yes you can kill the battery with the lights. This is not a KTM with AC lights. Yes you cam get more charge to the battery with the lights disconnected. I'm not proposing it is necessary or even a good idea but that is the effect.

vstrom - OK so it's the LO beam that is missing with the revered plug. Thanks for the clarification.

I have my low beam switched so I can run heated grips and not overwork the stator. IF I was smart I would have rigged a switch at the ground of the headlight. I switched the positive wire of the low beam.

Highway dirt bikes sell an assessory switch/perch which is pretty nice.