Sign in to follow this  

New to Forum XR600 questions

I am looking at a 93 XR 600 to buy. The bike seems to be in pretty good shape. It has been stored for awhile and starts but dies. I suspect the normal carb problems. Also, the compression release lever on the valve cover is unhooked and can be turned back and forth easily. Not being familiar with this setup, I am wondering if this is a problem. Also, any suggestions on what I should look for on this bike would be appreciated. The bike has been ridden, but doesn't appear to have been abused. Good rubber, chain/sprockets etc. Any ideas on value?

Thanks!

Decompression lever sould not be a problem. Just hook it up and properly adjust it. You can do a search on that one.

Value depends on a lot of things. I got mine for about 800 bucks, but have put another 800 in parts in to it. I have seen them go as high as 2 grand in craigslist...at least asking price. I would guess, and only a guess, 1200 if its in good shape. Of course, iam a cheap SOB.

You do need to get it started and run it a little bit to see if the cam chain is shot. Rev it up and if you hear a tick, tick, tick that increases with the rpms, it is most likely the cam chain. Could be valves, but its usually the chain unless thent end was taken apart and valves were not properly adjust when put back together.

Yo will want to run it around and shift it through the gears. Older XRs were horrible for 3rd and 2nd gears going out. Honda got better with it in later models and the 93 shouldnt be too bad for it. But, with anything, they will go out woth age and rough use. Shift it throughthe gears and ensure it can first, actually get through the gears, and second, it is smooth.

Then, i would check wheel bearings, chain and sproket wear, brakes (pads and rotor) and air filter. I like to look t the air box to see if its puking oil from the inside out. Not very common, but just something to look at.

Other than that, an XR is what it is. Pretty durable. How much is he asking?

He is asking $1500, but I know he'll take less. I am going to try to get the bike and take it to my shop and check it out soon. I'm looking for something to ride with my kids and this seems like a good prospect if it won't take a lot of work/money to get going. It is plated which is a plus. I'm thinking $1000 to $1200, thats about all I can lay out at this time.

Thanks for the help!

I did the same thing...bought the xr600r to have so i could ride with my kids. I ended up getting a crf250 becuase the xr is a beast for just poking around. But the funny thing is the crf just sits on the garage becuase when Dad goes solo, its on the big thumper.

I love the hell out the XR.

And on another note, the plate is a big deal. 1500 is actually a good price for a decent XRR with a plate. They are easy to dual sport with a $200 kit from Tusk.

I thought about a 400 or 450, but this 600 is available locally and doesn't appear to be bad at all. Just bought my daughter an 06 CRF100 that is very clean. I rode it yesterday and am very impressed with this bike. The bike handles well and the power surprised me for that size bike.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on the XR today or tomorrow and give it a good look. From what I've been reading, being plated does add to the value. I want one that I can ride on the street.

I was thinking about a crf or xr 100 for my wife to poke around on. So that little thing actually does a pretty good job with power?

Keep us in the loop on the XRR. If it is in good shape i think you will really enjoy it.

A while back someone told me to never buy a car with a four banger or v6 if it comes with an 8. Point being it wont take long and you will wish you had that power for a little more fun. My old girlfriend had a late 70s firebird with a 231 buick and i understood the point about the bigger engine. As a result, i got the XR600 and havent looked back or been disappointed. The only other thing i would have been happy with was a cr500 and that would scared the hell out of me.:bonk:

I was really surprised with the CRF 100. I weigh a little over 200 lbs and it had enough power for me to have a little fun and show my kids things they shouldn't do. lol My daughter is in the 150 lb range and it seems to do well with her. I'm thinking of getting a CRF 150 and doing a dual sport kit for her in a year or so. My son will be ready for the 100 and she wants to get her license.

As for the XRR, I picked it up yesterday and am going to tinker with it today.

I took some pics and would post one if I could figure out how. lol

I have been working on the XR and not having any luck. It willl not fire the plug at all. I'm thinking the stator is toast. No fire to the coil. Not sure what I'm gonna do about buying it. Looks like it may take some $$ to get going.

Hows it looking now mate? i got on here a bit late, if i saw this when you first posted i would have mentioned checking the counter shaft for wear before buying.... i brought mine with out checking it out and it ended up been a total strip down of motor new counter shaft and third gears.

another issue i had after the rebuild was a lose connection under the tank around the coil, it wouldnt start, tested everything and ended up back there, must have come lose when i pulled her a part.

hope its a simple fix for ya, there a fantastic ride

I haven't had much time to work on it so far. Electrically, everything seems to check out, although the fire at the plug seems a bit weak. I pulled the carb off todaly and am going to order a kit for it tomorrow. The bike was running when parked, so I can't imagine that it would be anything too major. But I have gotten into some real projects this way. Will see how the carb thing goes. Any suggestions will be appreciated.