Sign in to follow this  

Mod my 09 or new or even 450

So I have a 09 yz 250f. I mainly ride mx Im trying to decide what to do. I was going to send the head and carb off to Williams motowerx to be ported etc etc like 600 bucks. And ride it fr like two more seasons. Orrrr. Buy a new 250f.... Or. Wait and buy a 450..... The new bike would have to wait a while as mine isn't paid off yet.

Opinions?

I would get the work done and ride it 2 more years. Buy a new one when you can afford to.

i know its nice having a new bike, but do you realy need a new bike? i was going to get a new 2011 or 2012 just before christmas but i thought i would save my money and rebuild my 07 yzf250 now she runs like new again as she was getting alittle bit sluggish, i also for the first ever time had my suspention, re sprung and re valved for my ability and it feels like a completly new bike. so just save you money and do some stuff to you bike to freshen her up.

I was faced with the same decision 8 months ago. I had Jesse do the head, carb and cams on my WR and put on a 290 kit and it's a rocket. It'll hang with 450s really well now which is good cause I race it in the open class. Several people have mistaken it for a 450. The good thing about this engine is the relability. So keeping it for a couple more years is viable if yours is in good shape. If you have lots and lots of hours on it and have had to re shim the valves several times you should probably take another route since you may be looking at a valve train rebuild soon.

The 2012 YZ is supposed to have several engine mods that got a good HP gain. I would like to see what Jesse thinks about the changes Yamaha made to the 2012 and how he can improve on them.

On the other hand, if you don't have trouble keeping up on the starts and your suspension isn't completely dialed in, I would spend the money on the suspension instead.

Or just save your money for a new bike. You never know when the top end will pop so the investment in making it faster could be in vain if it drops a valve in a couple months. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood). And these engines are really reliable. But just look around TT and you see lots of horror stories even with these engines.

Thanks guys yes well I decided to send my head cams and carb to Jesse I'll throw that on and play with it for another season

I had Jesse do the head, carb and cams on my WR and put on a 290 kit and it's a rocket.

I just did the same thing to my YZ250F and I'm dying to ride it. I'm glad I didn't buy a new bike. I hold the title to my '06 and its gonna be a great bike to race this year :bonk: