Sign in to follow this  

04 rm-z 250 clutch drag

Hey guys,

New to the forum here and just got back into riding. My friends all got 2 strokes and I recently got the 04 rm-z 250. I have two slight problems with it however, one is that everytime I start it I seem to have to play around with the idle to adjust it correctly, is this normal with the rm-z's, I must mention it was cold outside.

The main issue however, is that the clutch is dragging significantly. Looks like the guy who had it before me fell over on the clutch and bent it up pretty good so I was going to order a stock clutch perch/lever etc..If that didn't resolve my problem I was thinking of taking the clutch basket off and examining it for notches. If it's notched out should I go ahead and replace it or can I file it down once?

What else could cause these problems??

Its so bad that when I have the clutch pulled in and in gear its pulling me, and when the motor is off and I have it in gear with the clutch pulled in I cannot roll it. It's very hard to find neutral when the motor is on as well.

PLEASE, any help is greatly appreciated, any advice on what to look for and/or ideas on what might be causing these two problems.

Thank you,

Jay

I solved my clucth drag this way it might sound

stupid but it worked for me. get an elastic or something to tight the lever to grip so that will hold the lever always pulled. live it pulled all night or more. Than start the engine and and live it on for 5 minut.es or so. After go try it

Your plates are sticking together then, that's why having the lever in over night helps

I guess the plates are contaminated? Cleaning them with 1200 grit wet might help ?

You might also make sure your lever free play is correct. And with the idle issue I would check you pilot screw and make sure someone hasn't set it goofy. I had a worn basket in mine where is was either off or on. No slipping the clutch. I replaced my basket and it was super smooth. I wouldn't recommend filing or sanding anything. Especially as cheap as new parts are.