Sign in to follow this  

How do you fit the larger Turntech in?

It doesn't fit in the battery box. I really wanted to have the bike running before the end of the year (I tore the engine down to put new piston and rings in August and it's been one thing after another).

Now I have to order a different battery and w...a...i...t two to three more weeks.

I've had the bike for three years and only been able to take two rides totaling about 350 miles, rest of the time it's been broken down. I'm about to give up on this stupid bike :bonk:

what is a turntech? why does it go in the battery box. i have a drz and i'm not sure what you're talking about

Which size do you have 2.5A or 5A?. I wasn't aware that the larger output one was bigger then oem. If your referring to being to small, then I'd recommend finding some high density foam and fill in the gaps

That must be their new case for the 5.0... As the 5.0's Ive seen a year ago fit just fine.

Is it too tall? wide? deep?

Turn Tech's site says the 5.0 is

Height: 3.5"

Width: 2.75"

Length: 4.625"

5.0%20Ah_3.JPG

Stock Yuasa YT7B-BS is

Height: 3.69"

Width: 2.56"

Length: 6.00"

So it looks like the Turn Tech battery in it's new case is too wide :bonk:

Too bad, they made a great start in this very forum, and now looks like they "improved" them selves right out of the market for the DRZ.

Edited by E.Marquez

That must be their new case for the 5.0... As the 5.0's Ive seen a year ago fit just fine.

Is it too tall? wide? deep?

Turn Tech's site says the 5.0 is

Height: 3.5"

Width: 2.75"

Length: 4.625"

Stock Yuasa YT7B-BS is

Height: 3.69"

Width: 2.56"

Length: 6.00"

So it looks like the Turn Tech battery in it's new case is too wide :bonk:

Too bad, they made a great start in this very forum, and now looks like they "improved" them selves right out of the market for the DRZ.

It's actually 1//4" to 1/2" taller than the battery box. I'll try to get a refund from Joe at Turntech.

Contackt turntech and see if they can get you an old style. Otherwise, I'd return it and order something that fits. You'll be happier in the future if you do it the right way.

For Giggles I sent Turn Tech a note, asking him to stop in and comment.

EDIT; Start shit? No, his company produced a really neat battery when no one else was doing it at a decent price,, The product evolved from shrink wrap to a small simple case, to what ever it is now. And in doing so, made the thing BIGGER then the OEM battery it is to replace. There are 3 advantages to this type battery. Smaller size, more power, less weight. Turn tech had 3 out of 3 going for it, now 2 out of 3, and no longer the only product in town to choose from.

Edited by E.Marquez

He knew it was going into a DRZ, should have said something about "old" and "new" styles.

I'm not mad at him, he's a pretty stand up guy - even offered to ship the battery while waiting for my payment to clear. I'm just frustrated the battery didn't fit.

For Giggles I sent Trun Tech a note, asking him to stop in and comment.

always trying to start something eh eric?:smirk::bonk:

i think for my next battery which is coming up this summer, im going to give the 2.5A a try..

I would get a hinge or two for the battery door, then use a piece of galvanized steel strapping (used in plumbing) to secure it shut with nuts and bolts. Spray paint it black and it'll almost look oem, lol. Yes I've done something similar to fit an oversized battery.

Edited by GetFuzzy
add'nl info

Thanks, I already talked to Joe at Turntech and he'll fab one with the older dimensions. I'll just have to wait 1-2 weeks to get it, bummer.

The problem with the new battery is it's not only 1/4" wider, it is also 1/2" taller than the battery box so it won't slide in. Terminals are also inverted from stock but I already lengthened the red (+) terminal by 6" to fit the new battery.