Sign in to follow this  

Washington Snoqualmie corridor planning

I think our best hope would be to get some of the decomishined fireroads re-opened. Then take advanatge of the sb5800. Many of the mtn bike groups have thier plans to take them though. Theres an organized envirogroup in Snoqualmie trying to shut down the rally school at the old saw mill because they are "tearing up the enviroment"

There is a ton of potential for single track in that area. If I lived out that way I might be inclined to build some. Seems silly to involve the DNR or FS.

make sure you remind them (dnr or other special interests) of the multi use rcw:

Multiple Use Concept (RCW 79.10.120)

The Legislature has directed DNR to utilize a Multiple Use Concept in the

administration of public state lands, when such use is in the best interests of the

state and the general welfare of the citizens, and is consistent with the provisions of

the lands involved.

When managing state trust lands, utilizing the Multiple Use Concept means DNR is

to provide for other public uses when those uses are compatible with the obligations

of trust management. Public uses that may be compatible with trust management

activities include: recreational areas; recreational trails for both vehicular and nonvehicular

uses; special educational or scientific studies; experimental programs

managed by various public agencies; special events; hunting, fishing and other

sports activities; maintenance of scenic areas; maintenance of historical sites;

municipal or other public watershed protection; greenbelt areas; and public rights of

way. If such uses are not compatible with the fiduciary obligations in the

management of trust land, they may be permitted only if there is compensation to

satisfy the trust’s financial obligations.

• Like 1

There is a ton of potential for single track in that area. If I lived out that way I might be inclined to build some. Seems silly to involve the DNR or FS.

Agree. Build now ride sooner. Don't advertise or video them to YouTube either.

There was another thread on the subject: "Ever thought about a riding area in North Bend area?" Guess it didn't make the software change... Anyway, something most of you didn't know.... here's my story that I posted on that thread... Mostly to show you that it's possible to get new areas as I did back in 1981.. but you have to stay active in the planning.. You can be sure the hiking community will be there Wednesday Evening, so make sure your snow tires are on or whatever you need to do to get there unless it's cancelled due to snow:

Back in 1981, I approached the USFS station in North Bend and talked to Ken White about the possibility of setting aside some rough area with parking for a Trials Bike area.. Short story version: it became a reality in the Spring of 82 after we held a test Trials Event in October of 81 and went all through the ORVAC / IAC funding process and received 2 funding requests... It's still on the IAC records as an open project. However, the IAC is now called something else, but they are responsible for managing the NOVA funds if and when there are any to manage.

I built, rode and maintained all but a couple of the "trails" out there until about 2 years ago when the lack of in-your-face contact with the USFS people saw too much time pass and a complete change of office people so that now, no one knows about it. We used it for 26 years with competition events and mostly just play riding for Trials Bikes. It was too small and primitive to have fun on any other bike and when I asked Ron Morgenthaller about how to include the NMA people in the project, he said to make it Trials Only.... because the area was too small and delicaate for anything other than Trials Bikes,

It was called the Tinkham Trials Area between I-90 Exits 42 and 47 and had enough routes cut from Rock Creek all the way to Hansen Creek to keep me busy for over 5 hours without riding the same trail twice in the same direction. Half of it is on USFS land from Tinkham Road all the way up to the Iron Horse Trail (railroad) and the other half was on DNR land that was part of the Bandera Emergency Air Field.

26 years of use and history!!! Too bad the red tape for putting on events made the Trials Club shy away to Reiter (Gold Bar) and Walker Valley... because no red tape to hold events there, but NOW look what happened... I knew it was coming. That's why I approached the USFS in 81..

I'll plan on attending...

I'm planning on being there and hope to have 2 or 3 people with me. We NEED to make a BIG showing at this. I know the Hikers and Mtn Bikers will.

In case you didn't notice, the link to the web page announcing the meeting at the top of this thread was from the Mountain to Sound HIKING group...

One of the key reasons I was able to get that Trials Area opened is because we had the required public meeting in North Bend but the people that were doing their best to eliminate ORV use were busy fighting over Tiger Mountain and didn't notice the public announcement until the meeting was over with overwhelming support for the Trials Area. One hiker, several bicycle people, several DNR and USFS people and about 10 Trials Riders were there.

Later when the people fighting over Tiger Mountain found out, they fired off some warning letters to the USFS that were actually funny.... forecasting gloom and doom but the USFS and DNR by that time had already witnessed 3 years of our use.

Edited by 2PLY

Thanks for the information 2Ply. Its encouraging to know that it is possible to get new trails. I'm going to try to make it to the meeting.

The reason I posted the link to the hiking website is because that is where I found out about it. It is also posted on mountain biking sites so I am sure a lot of diverse people will be there.

Thanks for the information 2Ply. Its encouraging to know that it is possible to get new trails. I'm going to try to make it to the meeting.

The reason I posted the link to the hiking website is because that is where I found out about it. It is also posted on mountain biking sites so I am sure a lot of diverse people will be there.

There was another Thread titled: "Ever thought about a riding area in North Bend area?" that had the DNR web page listed before your but for some reason, it did not survive the software change... at least I looked for it 4 pages deep three times and did not find it..

I would imagine the meeting might be postponed soon if the current weather forecast holds true.. I'll be able to make it. My Vanagon Syncro Westy (4x4) is set up for ice and snow travel and special tires... if it's on, I'll be there :smirk:

Here is the DNR page on it:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/News/Pages/2012_01_04_recplan_snoq.aspx

Edited by 2PLY

Dear subscriber:

Due to extreme winter conditions, the Washington State Department of Natural Resources has cancelled the January 18 open house to kick off the Snoqualmie Corridor recreation planning process. We are looking at rescheduling the open house for the first week of February.

We will send you an announcement for the rescheduled open house as soon as we confirm the date and location. We are aiming for the first week of February.

Doug McClelland

Assistant Region Manager - South Puget Sound Region

Washington State Department of Natural Resources

206-920-5907

douglas.mcclelland@dnr.wa.gov

www.dnr.wa.gov

Yes, I saw that.... WIMPS !!!! I could have made it.. :smirk:

Nothing like a good snow storm to thin the crowd.. :bonk:

Edited by 2PLY

We have confirmed a new date for the Snoqualmie Corridor Recreation Plan Open House. We hope you can join us on February 1, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Snoqualmie Middle School Commons Room, 9200 Railroad Ave. SE, in Snoqualmie.

Last week’s open house, originally scheduled for January 18, was cancelled due to weather conditions.

For more information on the Open House, visit: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/News/Pages/2012_01_23_recplan_snoq.aspx

Sincerely,

Doug McClelland

Assistant Region Manager

South Puget Sound Region

Washington State Department of Natural Resources

206-920-5907

douglas.mcclelland@dnr.wa.gov