Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild of my 1998 Honda CR250 Before & After Pix

Alright, well I'm sure most of you are familiar with my story about getting this bike back all as a matter of fate a few months back...It was in rough shape cosmetically, had some leaks, and also had an "air leakish" type problem we figured out after it went to WFO throttle on me in the middle of a wheelie at the track...It was surging and running a little lean, so I searched and searched until finally we came to break this bike down and found a cracked reed...Was very happy to see that actually as I was mostly stumped.

Another thing I want to add about this rebuild is we didn't know what to expect when pulling the jug off. Turns out this bike still had the 1998 piston and rings in it. As I said, ran great. Really didn't warrant a rebuild other than the fact I'm very anal about my bike and want it perfect. The powervalve was GUNKED up so bad we could barely get the cover off.

This rebuild included:

-Wiseco Pro lite piston (double ring)

-Boyesen dual stage power reeds

-Silencer packing

-All new motor gaskets, exhaust o-rings

-New plastics/decals

-Seat cover

and the rest I've been putting on here and there...The only thing that isn't brand new is the bottom end of the motor, and it's solid as a rock.

Anwyway, onto the pics

Before:

166964_2771284691705_1545651818_32700872_132714796_n-1.jpg

During:

IMAG0557.jpg

Old piston

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

Yay

IMAG0562.jpg

Cracked reed :doh

IMAG0563.jpg

Getting better. Sweet bag right?

IMAG0564.jpg

Light from the heavens

IMAG0566.jpg

Cylinder torqued, time for powervalve @ 4pm today

IMAG0569.jpg

After

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

Quality

IMAG0574.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

Money shot!

IMAG0580.jpg

Fellas, this bike looks HALF as good as it runs...I mean WOW! It got that tingy pop to it back, it's TIGHT tight tight...It's a completely different bike...We only had 1 hiccup, left the radiator cap off on warmup and taking it down the street lol but didn't lose any fluid!! Haha she's all good now.

I plan to just ride her around a little more tomorrow to fully break everything in. I run Klotz, got the first gallon at 24:1 but I'm thinking I won't need to use near a gallon. Really, I think it's done all the breaking in it's gonna do. May just put 32:1 back in tomorrow and rip! This bike scares me now.

Griffin

So it turns out my old friend got back into dirt biking and just happen to make friends with the 2nd guy who owned my bike after I sold it. He recognized it because of an old fireman decal I had on the bike. It was removed, but you could still see the outline. All because I brought it to my friends house back in the day and let him ride it. If that isn't random enough...

I'm at the local dealer trying on alpinestars when a dad walks in with his kid. Stops me and tells me his has the same boot (tech 3) same size brand new but "used" like twice, that I could buy. Pissed the salesman off, love it. Go back to his home and start making all kinds of connections with the guy. Real, real, real nice just genuinely amazing dad that fully supports his kids Mx racing. He buys their bikes, rebuilds them all the time, makes their own graphics, constantly buying new parts and gear, and takes them all over the country to race.

He tells me WE can rebuild my bike. The guy is a freak when it comes to mechanic. Just so knowledgeable and precise. He can torque a bolt to the T without a torque wrench, and it's PERFECT after double checking. He spent this entire week, 40 hours at least rebuilding this bike with me and didn't ask for a DIME! Hell, he even gave me newer or better bolts, used his rags, his carb clean, everything. I did the grunt work. He did the precision. I expanded my motorcycle knowledge 10 fold.

Guys, these opportunities...these blessings...are FAR more than just coincidence. I don't know if it's the speed god's or what, but I sure am thankful. Alot of things in life are all about who you know. Never underestimate the power of having good riding buddies.

Griffin

Congrats :bonk:

Glad to hear u got that " Tingy Pop " ... gives me something to look forward to when i do my rebuild !!

Must be due to new reeds , top end , jetting etc ... and you said you cleaned out pipe ... makes sense that lots of carbon build-up would sort of muffle sound ... must be true

Very cool that you randomly meet a guy who helped you so much ... great story ... you said last post nothing to do with luck ? on contrary i believe u were very lucky to meet this stranger and to have him do it for FREE ... wow guess there are some truly nice people out there :smirk:

That guy has some good carma now !

Forgot to mention ... its funny you went from black cr to white cr :bonk:

Why the drastic change ? I like the Kawi stock look myself for my 250 ... you dont like the original 98 Honda look / graphics?

one more thing :bonk:

cant believe u pulled out ORIGINAL piston !!!!???? And it ran good previous ? had good compression ? did u take compression measure before rebuild just curious ??

i dont have original piston in my 96 but i do have original graphics / seat cover and frame looks like new :banana:

Crazy nice shape for a 96 ! Gunna keep her FOREVER :smirk:

Congrats :banana:

Glad to hear u got that " Tingy Pop " ... gives me something to look forward to when i do my rebuild !!

Must be due to new reeds , top end , jetting etc ... and you said you cleaned out pipe ... makes sense that lots of carbon build-up would sort of muffle sound ... must be true

Very cool that you randomly meet a guy who helped you so much ... great story ... you said last post nothing to do with luck ? on contrary i believe u were very lucky to meet this stranger and to have him do it for FREE ... wow guess there are some truly nice people out there :awww:

That guy has some good carma now !

You know you are absolutely correct about my luck. What I was referring to was actually working hard and buying all of the parts. Luck had nothing to do with that, only hard work and desire :bonk: but this fellow I speak of that I met....Truly is a model human being.

I need to clarify, I did not de-carbonize my exhaust pipe at all, I just re packed my silencer. I think I may have been hearing things last night so excited but it has a little more of that tingy pop but nowhere near that KX. I'm betting a fresh brand new, no carbon expansion chamber would do it.

Forgot to mention ... its funny you went from black cr to white cr :bonk:

Why the drastic change ? I like the Kawi stock look myself for my 250 ... you dont like the original 98 Honda look / graphics?

Haha I know i know...Well I really like black and white, red is wayyy too played out and I can't stand the stock graphics and plastics from 1998. Black looks so sinister, and white is SO crisp and clean, but is going to be a BITCH to keep clean, but I will.

one more thing :busted:

cant believe u pulled out ORIGINAL piston !!!!???? And it ran good previous ? had good compression ? did u take compression measure before rebuild just curious ??

i dont have original piston in my 96 but i do have original graphics / seat cover and frame looks like new :lol:

Crazy nice shape for a 96 ! Gunna keep her FOREVER :D

I KNOW...We were freaking amazed. My rings did not even look worn. I can get you pics of my rings, piston, circlips and wristpin. Kept all of it. I did not do a compression check before and after, although I really wanted to. Fact is this guy was doing SO so much for me I didn't wanna complain and halt anything just to do a compression check. We had our eyes on the prize. All I know is it feels like it has a good bit more compression now and starts first kick everytime. It must not of had too low of compression before :p HONDA baby :lol:

wow very nice bike, have fun.

Will do :p

:smirk:

Hows the susp on the bike ? did u have the shock rebuilt or is that original too ? :smirk:

I just realized today that my shock is leaking :bonk: nice little pool of oil in the bottom

Must have just happened recently ... oh well time for rebuild ... shop says around $50 plus parts ... hope thats correct cuz i need a front tire and top end by spring also

No, we just did the motor. Up next is ALL bearings, shock, swingarm, linkage, & headset. We've only replaced and packed the rear wheel bearings so far. This is the perfect time of year to do it too! It's not terrible bad needing it or anything like that, but it shall be done very soon.

What's next?

-02+ front fender (white)

-All bearings

-RG3 red or black clamps

-Black rear wheel

-Black sprocket

-Chain

-Red chain sliders

-PWK air striker carb

-Magura Hydraulic clutch

-Oversized aluminum radiator

You can expect this all to be done in the spring, then we'll go from there. The last 3 things are the biggest, and about $200 a piece! It's going to be one sick 98' CR when I'm done (which will be never)

OP about your sig: you do realize Honda is the most ANTI 2 stroke company in the world?

Haha I didn't know that and don't care. It's ironic since they built the best 2 strokes ever IMO :bonk: Just happy to have her back and basically a brand new machine.

Usually i dont like the look of the boxy aluminum CR frames, but your bike looks sick. Nice work man:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, today I added ONE ind. swing arm decals, hour meter (finally!), & UNI air filter (much better than my NO TOIL IMO)

IMAG0605.jpg

Went to the local track and was amazed @ how well the bike ran. Just amazing...Was getting alot of respect from the 4t guys, which is cool, and heard alot of them are switching back to 2t, very pleased!

I have a 1998 cr250r with newer model plastics on it and it is a great bike it lasted two yrs before blowing up. They are good bikes. I am going to be selling it though since I got me a new bike.

I have a 1998 cr250r with newer model plastics on it and it is a great bike it lasted two yrs before blowing up. They are good bikes. I am going to be selling it though since I got me a new bike.

Nooooo! :bonk: It'd be one thing if you could just buy another but they're just becoming so hard to find! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you can find a way to keep it you should! To ME, my bike is way more worth the $900 I paid for it. Then again, it's been completely overhauled since then.

We didn't know what to expect when we pulled the jug off. I knew the motor was in good condition as it ran great, didn't warrant a new top end, but we did so anyway. Turns out it still had the 1998 piston in it :smirk: Only Honda.

What year plastics are you running and what all did you have to do to make them fit? I was thinking about this but I really want to keep my stock tank and air box setup, besides I just bought crispy new white plastics. Maybe next time around I'll update them. Just want to keep everything as OEM as possible tho. Post some pics too if you can!