Sign in to follow this  

does it take much knowledge to rebuild bike?

If when I take apart the bike I organize all the bolts and parts into baggies and bins should I be fine when putting it back together? I have never rebuilt a bike, just simple changes like the gaskets.

If when I take apart the bike I organize all the bolts and parts into baggies and bins should I be fine when putting it back together? I have never rebuilt a bike, just simple changes like the gaskets.

I would suggest watching the "Bottom End Rebuild" (Expand the "Instructional" videos in the link below) videos and see if you think that is something you can do. Only you know for sure. If you're mechanically inclined, it's pretty straight forward.

Best of luck. :bonk:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Videos

Personally, I would buy their Tusk case splitting tool and the flywheel puller. With their splitter you can pull the left side off the crank and place the splitter on the clutch side and push the crank out. When you put it back together you can bag the crank and place it in the fridge for a few hours before installing. Pretty much drops in after that. Use a coin between the clutch gear and primary gear to break the primary gear bolt loose. No doubt forgetting things this late at night so others can ad to this.

bottom line, its not hard at all, just do your research, know what your doing and its easy

actually rebuilding a engine top to bottom can be a challenge if you dont know what your doing and mistakes could be made. get a honda service manual, not a haynes but a honda one. read it and see if you understand what its saying. tusk tools are fine because their fairly cheap and work fine. i would advise against using the old coin trick between the gears. theres a tool for it thats $20. if you grind a penny through them gears that aint good and ive seen it happen.

you can use an aluminium washer to stuck it between gears.

i dont think you get it. when you put a penny or washer in them gears it can get turned completely through the gears. depends how tight the bolt is and if it has loctite etc. if that happens you have spread the crank shaft and tranny shafts apart via the bearings. do what you want but i been down this road before many moons ago when i was far less wise. got a pic of a penny that has went through them gears because the crank nut was to tight. afterwards i realised what a stupid thing i did. if your replacing all the bearings i guess it wouldnt matter, but you still have to tighten the bolt back up and hold the gears again. damn sure dont want to ruin the new set of bearings. a better way is the tool motion pro makes. do as you want though

Every penny I've used has just bent badly. Use one for loosening and one for tightening. I agree though, a tool would be nice there. A Tusk crank puller is nice versus the bag and freezer the crank bit too. It all depends on the budget I guess. Something to be said about having the right tool for the job for sure. :bonk:

i used to use a penny before i realised there was a better way. back then i dont think motion pro even made the tool and i didnt think to make something myself. but the last time i used the penny was some time ago. had a crank nut that was torqued from the factory with 15yo loctite. needless to say the penny just went through the gears. so i stacked 2 pennies in the gears. that barely got the nut loose. never used pennies after that day

Get a manual for the bike first and see what you think. Set up a bench area and use egg cartons and lay them out on your bench. Put all the parts in the egg slots as you go. When you are ready to reassemble work backwards through the dismantling procedure on your egg cartons to ensure all parts are installed. I would not advise doing a rebuild without a manual. Cover all parts each night with a cover so the cat, dog, wife or kids don't knock things over. Missing parts = mass problems and expense. Good luck. It is always good to start on an easy 4 stroke rebuild first, something from the 80's or 90's. Xl Or XR.

we talking just top end or bottom end too?

if youre mechanically inclined, its pretty easy. if you dont know the difference between a top and botton end i think you need to read up for a bit before jumping in.

it may sound silly but i dont know the difference between the two. which parts are the top end and bottom end?

Based on this statement, you are not ready to tackle it ... and the last thing the world needs is another bike on craigslist with the engine still torn apart.

• Like 1

it may sound silly but i dont know the difference between the two. which parts are the top end and bottom end?

I say go for it! Get the manual and Just jump in and do it! Great way to learn. My first time was before they had cameras so I drew pictures so I could remember how it went back together. Nowadays we have TV's that turn on instantly and cameras that have instant pictures - You have it made!

The Top end is the Cylinder/Head/Piston/rings

The bottom end is everything else. to get into the bottom end you need to split the case in half. so the transmission and gears/spacers and such.

The bottom end will require some specialty tools, and you usually spend a little money down there for preventive stuff since you opened it up in the first place but that's up to you. so do a little homework with the manual before you take the hammer to it.

You can print off a parts breakdown from online, organize your parts as you take them off, put screws from each part in a baggy and label the parts / screws with Item numbers from the parts breakdown. Just take your time, take pictures and stay organized and you won't have any problems. Oh and Keep any cat or its Kittens out of the area!

Edited by AXAxiom

I say go for it! Get the manual and Just jump in and do it! Great way to learn. My first time was before they had cameras so I drew pictures so I could remember how it went back together. Nowadays we have TV's that turn on instantly and cameras that have instant pictures - You have it made!

The Top end is the Cylinder/Head/Piston/rings

The bottom end is everything else. to get into the bottom end you need to split the case in half. so the transmission and gears/spacers and such.

The bottom end will require some specialty tools, and you usually spend a little money down there for preventive stuff since you opened it up in the first place but that's up to you. so do a little homework with the manual before you take the hammer to it.

You can print off a parts breakdown from online, organize your parts as you take them off, put screws from each part in a baggy and label the parts / screws with Item numbers from the parts breakdown. Just take your time, take pictures and stay organized and you won't have any problems. Oh and Keep any cat or its Kittens out of the area!

Someone that knows nothing AT ALL should not even attempt to try and fix his bike himself with a book alone. You need someone there to help explain it/show you.

Edited by Kecil

DO NO LISTEN DO THIS GUY, HE ADVICE WILL DESTROY YOUR BIKE!! Also how dare you tell someone that know nothing to try and fix his bike himself with a book.

??? the very first bike i rebuilt top to bottom, i used an owners manual, some pictures and thats it. no prior experience with ANY motor cycle, never did a top end, never been in the bottom end, nothing. that bike still runs to this day...

relax, lol.

Edited by mynewcr250

DO NO LISTEN DO THIS GUY, HE ADVICE WILL DESTROY YOUR BIKE!! Also how dare you tell someone that know nothing to try and fix his bike himself with a book.

No, not with just a book, that's insane!

I'm saying he can do it with a book while using his brain

A lesson for life for you young studs

You can't go through life without jumping into something just because it intimidates you or someone else. You need to jump in and start swimming. There is always going to be a first time for everything so why not [get over it] and [get it over with] and move on to something else. You will most likely find that its not as bad as you first thought it would be after its all said and done.

batistabir doesn't need protection, he needs encouragement.

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 1

??? the very first bike i rebuilt top to bottom, i used an owners manual, some pictures and thats it. no prior experience with ANY motor cycle, never did a top end, never been in the bottom end, nothing. that bike still runs to this day...

relax, lol.

My first was a top & bottom, just like you with no experience but I was very young and poor and learned mechanic skills along the way. Yea, thats funny, mechanic skills - skills like taking an engine apart with a hammer, assorted old screwdrivers, a chisel because of the old assorted screwdrivers. I actually split the case with a hammer and screwdriver and installed it back the same way. The bike ripped when I was finished and I felt great that I accomplished the work on my own. I wouldn't recommend using a hammer to install a crank nowadays because I don't think hammers are of the same quality as they used to be and may damage the crank :bonk:

the only skill it takes, is putting it back together fast and right at the same time.

if you take your time. you cant really screw anything up. commen sense gose a long way. sadly..it isnt that commen anymore. iv seen some big hack jobs come by the shop befor.