Sign in to follow this  

Steering damper with the trailtech X2... Q's?

Hey guys.

Ive got some spare $$$ and decided i would benefit from a steering damper, did a lot of searching and found lots of pictures, but none for the setup i would be after.

Bike is a XR650R

Ive got two setups that i use.

1). Trail/dual sport where i can use a trailtech 8" racelight

2). Motard with a trailtech X2 headlight.

Now, ive found pictures of the scotts(and im pretty sure a GPR would be the same) fitting with a front mount setup with a 8" racelight, either top mount or sub mount... BUT ive never seen any damper fitted with a trail tech X2 type headlight!

Looking at my X2 light, its very close to the stock tripple, the plastic buldge where the bulbs/wiring is hidden on the X2 is fairly close and im afraid the forward mounted post's on either the GPR or SCOTTS would hit it!?

Im positive the oil filler/dipstick type post on the Scotts would fit, but i really dont like that design, im scared the post would come off and the removing of damper/post is not what i would say is ideal.

I could install a sight tube to view oil level and also a threaded bolt with washer also on the frame at the top near it to put oil through, has anyone tried that? if that worked i would weld the nut and post on the dipstick area.

I could also not find any pictures of xr650r with the GPR v2, only the V1... anyone?

cheers

i have the scott's with the oil post mount ...i have a custom dash so i cant use a forward mount ... bike is set up for dual sport

the oil post mount is strong enough IMO .. too change oil is really no big deal ... i just undo the 2 allen screws that hold the damper on .. then you can easy undo the oilfil post

i use a sight tube for oil check.. best mod there is ....GPR have rear mount that goes over the dipstick as well if you like that idea sort of ofset

good luck

Yea i have a vapor dash setup as well.

I just want to know if the forward post would clear the X2 light, and how it would look like, i can always move the dash around i guess.

Does the sub mount have more dash room vs the top mount?

Here's some pictures so people can see and maybe tell me if they think it would be ok.

My dual sport setup with racelight/custom dash:

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Dual sport setup with the trailtech X2(when i dont need the light):

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Motard setup with the X2:

IMG_0175.jpg

I dont have any close up pictures of the X2 but i can get some if it would help.

And happy new year all :bonk:

Slice a short piece of two inch PVC lengthwise so you have two half moons. Use them as spacers in between the X2 mount and your fork legs. I have a clearance problem on my XRL with my X2 and that is how I remedy it. I know... it sounds ghetto, but is not noticeable if you make the PVC spacer short so it is hidden by the light's mounting strap.

I have the GPR 2 forward mount, with the X2. I ended up making two brackets to push the X2 forward a bit to clear the arm.

Unfortunately, the bike is pulled apart as i'm wiring for DS, so please excuse the mess. :smirk:

BRP_Bracket.jpg

Ahh, nice. So you've removed the rubber bands and use bolts to bolt up to your bracket, cool

If i have to do something like that, thats not too bad.

Ive seen pics of the scotts and the whole thing is a little bit smaller then the GPR, so maybe with a scotts it "might" just fit.

If you have any impressions of the GPR, please share, i havent ordered either yet as im waiting on they're reply as ive emailed them with a few questions( i think they are on holidays!).

I'm mostly interested in the feel of the damper working both ways(from center) compared to scotts one way.

Post more pics if you like as well :smirk:

cheers

I'll try to get more pics today.

As for the GPR, it's hard to say, this is the first bike i've ever used with a damper. that being said, so far, I do like it, in the rocks/roots it's totally made life easier. After my first hard ride I did find myself saying "why the hell did it take me this long to get one?"

I have the scotts damper and the x2. I had to make brackets to push the x2 out farther. I am still using the rubber straps.

MAZMAN-

Yes, we just got back from holiday yesterday and are playing catchup. Our guy that takes care of our main email is on vacation so that is making catchup even slower. If you do not see a response right away let me know what your questions are and I will get you squared away to the best of our ability.

Thanks-

Eric

Great setup, looks nice.

I hope i can get mine sorted similar.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

P.S.

Oh, and what radiator fan is that on your right side? spal/ktm?

Do you know if they run AC or DC? ( as in, do you need a battery to make it work).

Eric@scotts,

I ordered my scotts sub mount kit from BRP(billett racing products), Mike was excellent to deal with and i got a great deal.

His shipping was a fair amount cheaper so i went with him, as it saved me a bundle.

Thanks to all for the info, hoping i get it soon and set it up and try :smirk: