XR200 Best trail bike ever?

Well I don't know if I'd call it the best but it certainly fills an important niche. IMO there are much better trail bikes but the basics are there and they can be customized to suit different uses.

I've owned more XR200s over the years than any other models so I'm biased. They just seem to suit the area I ride and what I want in a bike for trail riding.

I have one, the great thing about the XR's is you can beat them til they should be dead, and the keep going. They are one of the best bikes I know of. They could use a newer frame, but its still ok. A couple things you need to keep an eye on that i have noticed is the cam chain and the foot peg bolts. The cam chains tend to wear into the cylinder. The foot peg bolts bend and eventually break. Otherwise, preaty much

bomb-proof.

I fixed up my '82 w/ CalFab swingarm-Simons 38mm forks-Fox shock and a -K&N filter-rejetted stock carb and White Bros. header and Supertrapp and it still is a damn fine trailbike today-but best ever trailbike? Hey its still going w/ a stock original motor in 2011-not my only bike-maybe best trail bike ever-but not most competitive bike!I've had it since '83-Love it!:bonk:

I fixed up my '82 w/ CalFab swingarm-Simons 38mm forks-Fox shock and a -K&N filter-rejetted stock carb and White Bros. header and Supertrapp and it still is a damn fine trailbike today-but best ever trailbike? Hey its still going w/ a stock original motor in 2011-not my only bike-maybe best trail bike ever-but not most competitive bike!I've had it since '83-Love it!:bonk:

Calfab? I haven't seen that name outside of the 3 wheel circle of lunatics. I'd love to see a Calfab XR swinger!

Calfab? I haven't seen that name outside of the 3 wheel circle of lunatics. I'd love to see a Calfab XR swinger!

Cal Fab sold their products for two wheelers all through the eighties. Their swingarms were all the rage for superbike racing at the time. I had a cal fab swingarm for my new xr200 twinshock in 1982 and then in 1984 bought another for my new xr250r. They were sold through white brothers for offroad bikes.

I weighed them both with the same ultra precise bathroom scale, one wheel at a time, and there was math involved. I agree both are great bikes but the 600 was my fave. Even when going riding with quads, I would think,"heck the 200 would be more than ample." I would ponder that thought for a sec, then think naw, 600 it is. You can throw much larger chunks of earth backwards at quads with more horsepower too, which adds to the fun factor also

Very good bike. A great Honda, but not the best trail bike ever. KDX200 owners will dispute your claim.

I've owned XR80 (twin shock), XR100R, XR200R (87 long travel), and XR400R. I've ridden an XR250R, XR600R, and briefly an XR650R.

It's a matter of picking the right size for your riding needs. XR250's are great in the woods. XR600's rule the desert, the XR400 if you have hills and tight trails. XR200 if you need a smaller bike.

On the same trails, I'll ride the XR200R and XR400R in the same gear, but the XR400R is going 50% faster. Suspension is the biggest limitation of the XR200. Even more than HP. It is a fun little bike with XR reliability. If I were going to build the ultimate XR, I'd start with an XR250 with a big bore kit.

When you compare an XR200 to other bikes you need to realize that there are several versions of the XR200 with very different suspension systems but similar engines; the 81-83 and 86-91 XR200Rs have about 10" of suspension travel (like the bigger XRs of the same vintage), the 93-02s have shorter suspension travel and will be speed limited on rough terrain. The 79-84 XR200 model is a twin shock model with limited suspension travel like the 93-02 XR200Rs. The 86-02 has the best frame.

I've owned and ridden the larger XRs and IMO for technical trail riding the 86-91 XR200Rs make all of the others BRPs.

Edited by chuck4788
fixed dates

I have my 83 xl 100 with a new engine in it. I also have a 2002 xr400 which I love. But I want something between the two bikes. I actually like riding my 100 and bottoming out the shocks lol. I have rode a 200 before and I thought it was the perfect balance for messing around with. It has soft/fun suspension, enough power to torque it up a bit, it doesn't suck a ton of gas, and you can rip it up doing spins and roosters without breaking your arsh like you can on the 400. My 400 doesn't like doing spins, it wants to throw me off when I do that, it doesn't like to be manhandled like the 100 and 200. I also thought about getting a kdx 220 but I am a team red man so I think I will pick up a xr200 for the spring.

I've owned an XR600, XR200, and a KLX300 and I have to say in the woods my old XR200 really was great. It wasn't quite as fast as the other (much bigger) bikes I rode with, but It was so light I had no problems keeping up in the more technical areas.

Is the xr200 the best trail bike ever? Bike seems to have just the right gearing and torque for fun on the trails. They are way lighter than a xr400 and have softer more fun suspension for longer rides in comfort. Awesome reliability and easy to handle.

What do you think?

it is the mule of motorcycles, it will go anywhere at a slow pace

When you compare an XR200 to other bikes you need to realize that there are several versions of the XR200 with very different suspension systems but similar engines; the 81-83 and 86-91 XR200Rs have about 10" of suspension travel (like the bigger XRs of the same vintage),

I'm confused. I thought you said 84-91 had the long suspension. Why did you leave out 84-85 here?

The migration to the new system lost my last post:

You are correct about suspsnsion travel but I was commenting on the two valve XR200s.

Honda introduced a new full cradle chassis in 84 for the 250R but used the same engine for the 200 version, what a toad; nice broad power band from the RFVC 4 valve motor but a pig for weight.

In 86 the 250 got a new chassis and the 84-85 chassis got the old 2 valve 200 motor, with some updates.

The 84-85 XR200R/250R suspension can be used on later 200s, do a search on this forum.

I have a 84 XR250 front end on a 90 XR200R, just a bolt on for a disc brake.

The XR200R forks from 84 thru 02 share most part numbers.

Edited by chuck4788