Sign in to follow this  

frame touch up

I have spots on my yz's frame, and

i dont want to tear the whole bike apart to powdercoat it just yet, so I googled Yamaha blue paint to see if I could touch it up a bit. This is what I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moeller-Yamaha-Dark-Blue-Metallic-Touch-Up-Paint-025515-/140661646271?hash=item20c01663bf&item=140661646271&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_2241wt_1185

I know it says engine paint but is it the same color? If not does anyone know where I can get my hands on some?

I have spots on my yz's frame, and i dont want to tear the whole bike apart to powdercoat it just yet, so I googled Yamaha blue paint to see if I could touch it up a bit. This is what I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moeller-Yamaha-Dark-Blue-Metallic-Touch-Up-Paint-025515-/140661646271?hash=item20c01663bf&item=140661646271&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_2241wt_1185

I know it says engine paint but is it the same color? If not does anyoneknow where I can get my hands on some?

Don't ever remember seeing a blue YZ engine OEM from Yamaha. It just may be Moeller's way of marketing their paint. :smirk:

Yamaha started (consistantly) painting YZ frames "blue" in 1997. It was a dark (Navy) blue, with no metallic that I can remember.

In 1999 (IIRC) Yamaha went to a lighter (more Royal) "Reflex" blue for their frames (again without metallic) until the aluminum frames appeared.

There were lots of slight color variations throughout all those years, but those were roughly the two basic colors.

You didn't mention what year your YZ was, but if it is a '97 or '98, go with a Navy blue touch-up, or if '99-'04 use a Royal blue. Should be plenty close enough. :bonk:

FYI, once you find the right blue for your year, prime with white and then top coat with the blue. It just doesn't look right without the white base :bonk:

• Like 1