Sign in to follow this  

XR70 swing arm troubles

When I got this bike the swingarm pivot in the frame was oval. I drilled it out and pressed some old wrist pins in that I had laying around then over tightened the swinger bolt. Now the bushings are shot in the swingarm from being over tightened. I am looking at bushing kits and see All Balls and Pivot Works. Is the latter really worth the extra $25? I also saw THIS and noticed that it has bearings rather than bushings. Is this swinger a POS or would it be a decent add-on for my 7 year old? It sure looks good. How much height would it add, I don't want it much taller. Would my stock shock and bakes work?

the "H" style will not work without some shock mount adjustment....Ebay does have some extended "A" style.....a stock 70 swingarm is 14" so you are adding 3" which will change you geometry alot unless you have longer forks....you could use the +2 CRF50 alloy swingarm off Ebay and it will be a direct replacement....they will take some abuse but not any adult doing 60ft doubles..lol...the pivot works bearings are good but if they bike is just something that is being ridden in the yard I would not bother...the bushings are fine....I have yet to see the bushings fail on the 70...just the pivot point tube gets oblong

as far as the brakes and shock working, that would be no...the brake rod would need to be extended 3" and as mentioned, the shock mount will need to be changed

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the +2, I like the look of the aluminum and honestly. I think the only reason the bushings failed is because I tightened the bolt to the point that it was not spinning in the bushing. All swinger movement was flexing in the rubber of the bushing.