Sign in to follow this  

2012 honda heavier flywheel Mx only?

Does any one have feedback on using a heavier flywheel. mxa says 17oz works best for them. I called steahly the other day and they cant figure out why mxa likes the 17oz. They recomended the 11 oz for outdoor mx on the 2012 honda. Any feedback thoughts?

MXA likes and dislikes a lot of weird things. 90% of their testing is done at the REM races at Glen Helen. The track gets dry and slick and full of holes and they're old for the most part (Like me :bonk: )

The heavier flywheel will settle the engine down and make huge traction and late in the moto the bike will be easier to ride and wont wear you out early in the moto either.

Whether or not you end up liking the big flywheel is dependent on what it is youre trying to cure with it.

So, what are you trying to cure?

well I race expert vet, but im lite, 147 lbs. I thought it might help me coming out of corners a little better, hooked up. But mxa says 17oz and steahly says 11 oz for outdoor mx. I Have a pipe, ti leo vince, and tokyo mods remap. Still the bike has a very linear powerband which is good for someone as lite as me.

thought it might help me coming out of corners a little better, hooked up.

It'll do that for sure. Both of them will. The heavier one to a greater extent. The bike makes plenty of power so calming it down is probably what youre looking for.

englertracing, Can you tell me what the 11 oz did for the honda and why you think the 17oz would be better. Did you test this at an outdoor mx track thanks

Had a 17oz on my 09 CRF and it was one of the best improvement for me as far as smoothing out the hit and the stalling in corner issue. I am a 215 lb novice 100% mx rider.

Had a 17oz on my 09 CRF and it was one of the best improvement for me as far as smoothing out the hit and the stalling in corner issue. I am a 215 lb novice 100% mx rider.

I'm around the same weight same bike and just installed the 17oz flywheel, do you still enjoy it's improvement towards the performance of the bike? I haven't riden the bike with the 17oz yet but was thinking I've gone to big, but would like to hear input from someone with one.

Had the 11 oz on my  2009, used the 17 oz on my 2011.

The 17 oz was the best for me!!

I'm around the same weight same bike and just installed the 17oz flywheel, do you still enjoy it's improvement towards the performance of the bike? I haven't riden the bike with the 17oz yet but was thinking I've gone to big, but would like to hear input from someone with one.

don't fret my Auzzie friend

im positive youll love it.

I haven't had time to ride and so I've been lurking on TT and made myself paranoid that I went to big

why not install a rekulse? no stalling, smooth’s out the power delivery, does not add weight to the bike.

Can your really tell a difference between the 13 oz vx the 17 oz? I have a 2006 CRF450r. I am considering installing a Trail Tech 6141-31) 31 oz. flywheel. Which is 13 oz above stock 18 oz.

Rode today and didn't even notice a change at higher speeds and has helped for lower speeds but deffinatly glad I took your advice on going heavier. Revs up quick and can still get the front wheel in the air so it hasn't restricted it which is nice. I noticed it on corners I can really hook in where as before it would like to kick out and need more throttle control.

• Like 1