Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 Dies after 2nd gear errr!

These little beast or something else! I just had the motor rebuilt (new crank, bearings, sleeve, piston, etc.) Put the engine in and it started right up, you can tell it's pretty tight. We went from a stock piston (44.5mm) to a (46.5) I believe. Bike starts up and idles great it will even rev nice and smooth. My son takes off in 1st, goes to 2nd then when he shifts to 3rd as soon as he hits the power band it dies. I did not modify the carb at all. Filter brand new (air and fuel), new plug. Any help would be great. Got to get the kid back on the bike! Thanks!

Check the flow of gas out of the petcock and the vent hose on the tank too, sounds like it ran out of gas.

Ed

If it does it anytime you get into the powerband, I would look at maybe the main jet plugged or something like that. If it only does it after he gets to 3rd gear then I would look at the fuel flow as mentioned by no1clyde.

Hey Guys thanks for the response and I did check the pitcock flow and it was good. I also checked the vent tub on the cap and it was clear. I then took the carb apart and it looked great. I cleaned every part, inspected it, adjusted float and put back together. Once again it starts right up and revs really strong. What I noticed this time was that it really didn't have anything to do with power band or gear. I reved it up about 10 to 12 times while it was sittiing and it quit. A couple of seconds later I kicked it and it started right up???? Could it be since I bored it to a larger piston ( I went from a 65cc to a 71 cc or 44.5 to 46.5)? Could it be sucken the bowl dry that fast? I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks and Happy New Year!