Sign in to follow this  

decompresion cam and reverse cam

Turniing over the engine by hand and checking the tappets I have notiiced that the tappet which is also used on the decompresion lever is tight on the valve when it should have clearance like the rest of the valves and by rotating engine back and forth it suddenly clicks and has normal clearence. I took head cover off and noticed that compresion cam and reverse cam have side play in them is this normal. rocker and tappet move freely

Don't know if it's normal,,I have removed all that auto decompression stuff from the cam and just use the handlebar decomp to get the bike at TDC or thereabouts for the kick to start,.The front right tappet always appears a bit tight because the head mounted decompression actuating arm is sort of interfering with it,,Disconnect the cable and then adjust that valve/tappet gap/lash if you are checking the gap/lash then reconnect the cable.,

Don't know if it's normal,,I have removed all that auto decompression stuff from the cam and just use the handlebar decomp to get the bike at TDC or thereabouts for the kick to start,.The front right tappet is always a bit tight because the head mounted decompression actuating arm is sort of interfering with it,,Disconnect the cable and then adjust that valve if you are doing the gap.,then reconnect it.,

If the manual decompression cable is properly adjusted, it will not interfere with adjusting the RH exhaust rocker.

If the manual decompression cable is properly adjusted, it will not interfere with adjusting the RH exhaust rocker.

Matter of opinion,,In theory you're correct,,it shouldn't,,"Will Not" is pretty final,,I don't have a lot of faith in things being impossible.,Too many weird bikes,,weird springs,,weird maintainance habits among XR owners.,No offence and all that,,just differing opinions.,

Thanks for all the advice,I will try to see any obvious problems but may end up removing the cams as a last resort.