Sign in to follow this  

Want to get a 2 stroke to prove something..

Hey guys,

Right now I have a 06 yz250f and it is great to ride and everything but I haven't had it long enough to get to the rebuilding part of it all.

I want to be racing alot of moto this summer and not want to be rebuilding something all the time or have to pay alot for it. The most I've done on a 4 stroke is replace the valves and that wasn't fun haha. I want to get a 125 2 stroke possibly for the following reAsons.

The fun factor, easier rebuilds, enhance my riding skills.

The part I am on the fence about is that my dad says that 2 strokes are a pain in the butt but he's only had quads so I'm not sure if he is correct about dirt bikes. I want to get a cr125 and I'm looking for a newer year. I plan to have Eric gorr bore it to a 144. I know it will be harder to rAce moto with a 125 2 stroke against the 4's but in the end it's about the rider. I don't think I want a 250 2 stroke because I think it would be too much power and I want to ride a bike to it's full potential. So what do you guys think?

you'll be doing more top end rebuilds, but they are easy. If you want to go for it, why not its something new. If you have your mind set on something i dont think anyone will get you to change your mind(im the same way dont worry). I'd say find someone with a 125 before you sell your 250f, if you like the way the power is delivered and the more work you have to put into it to go fast then there is your answer, for me i lack traction everywhere every time im on a 2 stroke, that back tire loves to spin, but being so light makes up for it cause you can man handle the bike. theyre fun but to me 4 strokes are funner. If you do send it to eric gorr i'd ask him about the 153cc bore, ask him about the durability/reliability if you do it. Looks pretty cool.

I would go for a 250 2-stroke, if your class allows it, more power and speed, you just have to be able to handle it properly.

There are a lot of factors...

Racing is about picking a bike and a class together as a package. People who show up and run what they brung, are not smart. If you wanna be successful, the key is to have the best bike for the class that your skills are capable of winning in. A lot of series have specific 125 classes, and some series allow 250 2 strokes in with the 250f's. So you should really do some research about the series you'll be racing before committing to a bike.

If you haven't raced a 125 or 144 for that matter, you really need to get on one and experiment. Put down a base lap at any given track with your 250F and then get on a 125/144 and see if you can match that laptime. I bet you, you'll have loads of fun, but won't get anywhere near the laptime. 125/144's are hard to ride, they have much lower grip potential then 4 strokes because you have to use the clutch to generate drive and that puts the rear wheel into spinning mode instead of gripping mode. Plus, when you make a mistake (which everyone does) its very hard to recuperate, you're liable to get past all over the place. Its one thing if you're in a 125 class, then everyone has the same disadvantage, but if you're racing against 250F's, you've gotta just be a MUCH better rider then everyone else.

Think of it this way, on a scale from 1-10, 1 being the least 10 being the greatest. On a 250F, you put in 5 effort to get out 5 speed. On the 125/144 you'll put in 8 effort to get 5 speed. There is a point where you put out 10 effort, the absolute MAX your body and skills have and only get out 8 speed. Where on your 250F you can do 10 effort to get 10 speed.

So the answer might be a 250 2 stroke, or maybe doing what a lot of other people do; put in the money to buy a NEW 4 stroke, run it for a year and then sell it. One thing about 4 strokes; don't get attached. Its cheaper to just buy a new one and sell it after a season then it is to worry about having to do any service.

Ohh and the whole argument of being able to use "all" the bike. Lets say this much, only a hand-full of people in the world are capable of using every ounce of a 125/144. They are super fast bikes, my 125 was dyno'd at 39.5hp, thats exactly what the most modern KX250F puts out! A good race-build 144 should be in the 42hp range. These are FAST bikes, you will never use everything they have, so don't worry about it.